advertisement

newly diagnosed 8 year old-need help please.

Discussion in 'UK' started by emc71, Oct 6, 2012.

1. emc71

emc71 Approved members

Hi I am new here. My 8 year old son developed DKA whilst we were on holiday in Spain 6 weeks ago. He has been amazing and has done his injections since day 1. I'm feeling so terrified about the future, how I will ever be able to carb count and teach it all to him. I've read lots of supportive things but also some frightening things about complications. I think about diabetes 24 hours a day and feel so anxious. I have 2 other children age 5 and 1 and worry now they will also develop it. I've gone back to work and my husband has been amazing but I'm finding it hard to cope with the diagnosis.Did anyone else feel like me? Will I ever get used to it? I just want him to have a normal long healthy and happy life.

2. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

You might post in introductions or parents section as I think traffic to this area is low.

Glad you found this site though, and posting asking for help is the first step to finding your rhythm.

What you are feeling is normal and we've all gone through it, my main advice is to take things one step, one minute, one shot at a time. You will live, eat, breath numbers for a few weeks, then you'll realize you are waking up thinking about breakfast instead of blood sugar...you'll learn what you need to learn faster than you can imagine. It's overwhelming, scary, crazy to even wrap your head around right now, but please please trust me when I say that it WILL get better. Your family will get through this and life will get back to normal.

With modern insulins and careful attention from you now, and your son as he matures, his life will be healthy, happy, active, NORMAL. These first few weeks will be tough, you'll cry for no reason, you'll feel like you aged a decade, you'll feel stress and want to run away. But you won't run away because your precious child needs you, you'll learn, you'll smile so your son won't know you are stressed, and pretty soon you'll realize that you are a competent carb counter, you're a pro at testing sugars, you give shots like it's no big deal.

Life will go on and your son will play sports, go to school, grow up healthy and happy.

Please ask questions, for me personally this site is what kept me sane in those early days, matured my knowledge, gave me insight and information that shaped how we approach diabetes.

3. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

Sorry you had to join us. What you are feeling is very normal. I cried on and off for a year but during the year it did get less and less. Your son will do fine and in the next few months you will learn so much and don't freak out but you will make mistakes and you all will survive. You can come here to vent, cry celebrate, and ask for help most are very supportative.

I would though post under parents of type 1 and introductions.everyone goes there more.

4. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

In answer to the questions at the end of your post...yes, and YES!:) But it does take time. I'm sorry to say there is no real way to "fast forward" through these scary, stressful early days. The way all of us here have gained our confidence and comfort about D is living through those days and learning for ourselves that we can manage D, we can do it competently, and that the terrible things we may hear about D are very unlikely. Frequent BG checks are a good way to calm nerves and keep anything drastic from happening. We see our kids smiling, laughing, having fun...and doing all the things kids do and realize that D isn't ruining anything (except perhaps for a good night's sleep for mom!).

You will learn to carb count the same way you've learned everything in your life...by educating yourself and by practice. We've all learned...there is no reason in the world you can't do it. Patience, practice, and time. I'm sorry there is so much time involved in all of this...I do wish there was a magic wand we could all wave to get us to that point where we don't live and breathe D. We all get there at different times and places...but I promise you will get there.

It often helped me to visualize the future when my son was first dx. I'd wonder where I'd be in 6 months...and I knew I'd feel more comfortable with injections and BG checks. I thought of a year out...and figured I'd probably be pretty darn good at carb counting (it didn't take that long though!;)). I'd visualize me calm and matter of fact, my son happy and thriving. Guess what...we made it.:) You will too. Be kind to yourself, don't expect to know it all right away...or to feel calm and collected.

As for teaching your son carb counting...just concentrate on yourself for now. I don't imagine your son will be moving out on his own any time soon;). There is PLENTY of time for him to learn once you feel comfortable. My son is also 8, and has had D for 4 years now. He only knows the carb counts of some things. We often play a game where I ask him what he thinks the carb count is of a certain food...just to see how he might estimate. He does good sometimes, not so good others. It's just a game now. In a couple more years, we'll get more serious.

I have a niece who has had Type 1 since she was 2. She is now in her early 30s...complication-free with two beautiful healthy children. She went to college, fell in love, became a teacher, got married, has traveled internationally, and is a wonderful person. I have another niece with T1...she is now pregnant with her first child, she also travels extensively, and is extremely active...she runs, bikes, swims, kayaks and is much, much healthier and more fit than I am. Her life is full and she is happy...no complications.

I think you will find my niece's lives to be the rule...NOT the exception. With careful D management, there is no reason your son will not live a long, healthy, and happy life.:) One member here recently posted a thread to announce 67 healthy years with D! One day, in the late part of this century...our boys will be doing that as well!!;):)

Keep breathing and taking one day at a time...every step you take is one that brings you closer to the light at the end of your tunnel.:cwds:

5. emc71

emc71 Approved members

Thank you all so much for replying to me-its so comforting knowing other people have felt like I do now.I don't know any other children with T1 at the moment so finding this website will really keep me going. It is such an overwhelming time and sometimes it all feels like there are too many mountains to climb all at once. Its so amazing to hear of others who are leading normal happy complication free lives and that it is achievable. Thanks once again-so amazing to wake up this morning and check to see if any replies and to read all your words-for the first time in many weeks I actually feel that I will get through this and he will be fine if I stay focused and strong! I will be reading your replies over and over to keep me going :) x

6. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

So glad you're feeling a bit better.:) I did not find this forum until a little more than a year after my son's dx. I felt I was doing pretty well by then...but I learned SO much from coming here...and I really improved my management techniques. And this place is perfect for lifestyle type questions that you may not think to ask your child's doctor. For instance, my son is starting to play the violin, and I recently posted to ask people how they handled concerts...I was wondering what he might do if his BG was low. Got a few great and practical replies...and now I'm not worried anymore!

Definitely go to the Parents of Type 1 section...that is where the majority of the "action" is and where you will get the most replies to your threads. There is a wealth of information there. One of the most helpful threads for new members is "10 Things Your Endo Never Told You" by Christopher. Don't know how to link it...but if you run a search for it...it is very worthwhile. TONS of tidbits of info...so don't get overwhelmed...but it is good to keep as a reference for when you need it. It is the collected wisdom of lots of members about what they wish they'd known at dx...a great "shortcut" for you to be able to learn from our mistakes and ignorance!!;):p

Best wishes for a good day today and an even better one tomorrow! Hugs to your son!:cwds:

7. emc71

emc71 Approved members

Thanks again...I will definitely check out the other areas of the website-Im lucky to have found it as only stumbled across it by accident while googling for info about diabetes and have not yet found my way around all the forums.We had a good day today-went swimming with the kids and it felt lovely to be doing 'normal' activities again after the trauma of the past few weeks.Have held back my tears today as well, and thought lots about everything you have all said and about your nieces Julie-that is just how I want my little boy to be-to grow up,fall in love and have a family,get a great job and see the world.
    Have a great day all of you too and thanks a million for making me feel better during these really hard early weeks. I may post again if Im feeling down so please look out for me....:) xx