advertisement

Newly diagnosed 13yr old at risk of failing classes

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by Dxdiabetic13, May 12, 2016.

1. Dxdiabetic13

Dxdiabetic13 Approved members

Help! Dose anyone have advice about talking with my son's teachers about not failing him because of being recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes? He has been struggling with school for the past six months. Not with understanding the material but with remembering to turn in his work and now that we understand that he's been sick not lazy I feel like some sort of consideration for that isn't unreasonable. I'm not asking for him to be given A's but just passing. He only has 2 weeks of school left and classes that he usually gets A's and B's in are D's. He's a really smart kid and I'm not worried that he needs help with understanding or falling behind next year it's just he's been dealing with an undiagnosed disease. Plus now he's missed a week of school and has to worry about catching up on top of being devastated that his life has to be different and he's so embarrassed and feels like he's defective. I tell him all the time that he's not but this is how he feels right now. Any advice?