- advertisement -

Newcomer!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by gettu, Mar 6, 2012.

1. gettu

gettu New Member

Hello Everyone,

i am an Ethiopian father of 1 year and 3 months old son who has been diagnosed with type 1 when he was 10 months old...it was really shocking...and we did not know what to do...Here in Ethiopia, there is a very limited knowledge about the disease...and so far my son is really suffering a lot....Off course he is on insulin but we are not able to manage the ups and downs of his glucose level. some times i feel like it is completely out of our control and it is impossible to handle it here in Ethiopia...

Glad to join this community...but it seems that the treatment is quite different in U.S. and Canada because i am reading a lot of new stuffs here on the website...But with your help, i believe i can gradually catch up with the latest information on the disease.....

Hope to get a warm welcome from all of you,

Asfaw.

2. selketine

selketine Approved members

Welcome to the club - but sorry you had to join us. My son was also dx'd as a toddler but about a year older than yours when dx'd. He is 10 now.

Let us know what insulins your son is on and questions you have - there are some folks here quite knowledgeable about different treatment options.:cwds:

3. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Hi Asfaw! It must have been a huge shock at 10 months. You sound like a wonderful father, and that will help your son tremendously. What type of insulin (or insulins) are you using now? What sort of schedule is he on, if any. Though my daughter was diagnosed much later, I've read often that there's a lot of fluctuation with the youngest. There are so many on this site who have very small children. Please feel free to ask any questions you might have. We've all been at the same starting point as you. Take care!:)

4. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  5. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

Welcome Asfaw to CWD :cwds: I am sorry you are having a difficult time managing your son's diabetes. Do you have access to meters/strips to check his bg frequently? how are you treating lows? I hope you will visit CWD with your questions. This forum has a lot of wonderful people who can offer support and advice.

6. Niaz

Niaz Approved members

Hi !
    welcome to CWD :cwds: Here you can get good information by reading topics and posts..., as I'm doing.
    I'm not a parent, but tell us more about your child and the way of his treatment and ask your questions so that other parents (all well experienced:cwds:) could help and guide you.

Great Luck !

7. gettu

gettu New Member

Request for Advice

Thank You all for your warm welcome!

My son is taking insulin two times a day: 7:00 am and 7:00 pm. We are giving him a mix of Regular and Lente (Danish Brands). Currently he is taking 2 regular and 4 lente in the morning and 1 Regular and 3 Lente in the evening. Total of 10IU. He is now 15 months old and 12 kg. But his glucose level is highly fluctuating. On average more than 250 fasting glucose and in the evening it is around 200. Sometimes his Bg goes beyond 400 and down to 40's and 50's.

But our series problem is when he is low and refuses to take any thing by mouth. When he gets bacteria or some other common diseases, he loses his appetite and cant take any thing..We usually try to give him tea with sugar in such cases but he usually vomits.

We dont have a meal plan here coz we cook traditional foods at home and it is difficult to know the amt of carbohydrates, protein,.... So we are just giving him what is available at home..

It is really tough here to get Doctors when you are in need. Plus diabetes in children is a recent phenomenon. There is a big knowledge gap. We take him to a hospital once a month but we get a little help.

I would be happy if u can give me some advice on how to improve the insulin management in case these conditions are not totally strange for you.

8. SueM

SueM Banned

Very odd that this is a recent phenomenon in your country. :confused: I hope researchers look into that. There could be a really simple answer out there... Immunizations may be something to look at in cases where there is a large increase in type 1 diabetes over a relatively short period of time.

9. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Many people on this forum use at 24 hour (or so) basal such as Lantus or Levemir. Since the liver is constantly producing glycogen, the theory is that the 24 hour dose (given once a day or sometimes split into two) will provide coverage for that liver function. The amount of Lantus or Levemir would impact the morning fasting number. When our daughter was first diagnosed, we had to increase that dose 1-2 units at a time to achieve a better fasting number. Please keep in mind, though, that doses for small children are usually very small.

Added to this is a meal dose given either before or after eating (often with little ones, given after since it's hard to know how much they will actually eat at a sitting). There is fast acting insulin called Humalog or Novolog that will start working within 30 min. or so and will keep working for 3-5 hours depending on the person. I don't know much about the Regular, though I do know that some on this forum use that as well. You could search the posts and find what sort of combination they are using.

For treating the lows...have you tried honey applied on the gums or something similar? Do you have small tubes of cake frosting available anywhere? Have you noticed a pattern for the lows such as time of day? It seems we all have to take on the role of detectives in order to figure out what works best for our children.

I hope this helps! ;)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012