- advertisement -

newbie to cwd with a 10 year old

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by buckmarko, Jan 18, 2012.

1. buckmarko

buckmarko Approved members

Hi. I found this site a couple of days ago. My first time posting. My 10 y.o. son was diagnosed Oct 26, 2011. It was quite a blow at first, but we are adjusting and learning everyday. It's been 3 months now, feels like forever, but yet feels like yesterday. So much to learn. We are on injections- Humalog and Lantus. We have an appointment Friday with the GI clinic to see if he has Celiac disease as well. My main question is diet related. He is not on any kind of restricted diet. We count carbs. If he wants something, we just cover it with insulin. I know his is a growing boy, but that doesn't seem right. Is that normal with all of you? If he does eat carbs for snacks, I try to pair it with protein as well. What kind of diet have you found to most successful? Also, when did you start using a pump? Thanks so much!

2. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

glad you found this forum. My DD was diagnosed in June of this yr. Just like you it seems like yesterday but so long ago. We are starting Taylor on the pump in April. We have the pump at the dr.s office right now cause we were able to get it for free last yr compared to having to pay this yr. And Taylor is not on a restricted diet. I limit her sweets/junk food the same way I have always limited it.

3. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I am not sure why you don't think it is right, but what most people do is eat reasonably and give enough insulin to cover the carbs. The insulins used these days can do this and somewhat closely mimic the insulin that pancreas should release.

My son eats a pretty healthy diet -- it is what his father and I eat, but my son has more snacks because he is hungry and 17.

The accepted practice is what you have been told to do with your son.

4. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

Yes there is a lot to take in the first weeks, months. We didn't have to change our diet too much. We cut out pasta/pizza (found healthier alternatives) but for the most part dd was a very healthy eater pre dx. Sweets are not taboo here, but it isn't any everyday option. Hope your son is doing well. Is he experiencing celiac symptoms?

5. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

Yup, thats how today's basal/bolus regimes work. Think of it this way, a non-D person's pancreas releases basal insulin 24/7 (thats your Lantus) and spits out a bolus of insulin when they eat carbohydrates (thats your Humalog). So basically you're just mimicing that but giving the insulin by injection instead. Does that make sense? No special diets are needed with current insulin regimes, thats old-school diabetes management, before the advent of modern insulin analogues.

Some foods are more difficult to cover with a single shot of fast-acting insulin because of variables such as a high fat content slowing down the absorption of carbs (pizza is an example) but many people find ways to deal with these using different injection or pump techniques that you will eventually learn, often through trial and error. There is no reason to exclude these foods as part of a balanced diet. I'd recommend "Using Insulin" by John Walsh as a good book to get a handle on things.

As for pumping, some people start at diagnosis, some within a few weeks/months and other are comfortable staying on injections for years before deciding to try it. Some people prefer injections indefinitely. Its a personal decision, you should be able to start pumping when you feel ready :cwds:

6. buckmarko

Thank you everyone. We haven't changed our diet since that is what the Dr. and diabetes team has told us. (I still have the old way of management imbedded in my brain). Yes pizza and spaghetti night is a learning experience. I try to cook healthy food. Dessert is every now and then. Usually weekends. I've done a lot of reading. Thank you for the book recommendation. There's also a couple in my Amazon cart I haven't bought yet. He isn't necessarily experiencing Celiac symptoms. When we went for our first follow up appt the Dr. was looking over his labs and noticed the lab value that indicated Celiac was really high. We repeated it, and it had come down, but it was still a little high. So, he recommended us to the GI dept at children's to just make sure.

7. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

My son is 10 as well. My best advice is to let him eat and cover the carbs like you are doing. 10 year olds are hungry and sometimes carbs are all that sound good or will fill my son up. We went through a period when he was diagnosed at 7 when I controlled what he ate, portion size, time of day...everything. One day, he was hungry and had already had his "free snack" and his older brother was having a cookie. He became the SNACK NINJA! He figured out how to open any food package in complete silence and how to let things soften in his mouth so it wouldn't crunch while he was eating it. After downing a whole bag of Chips Ahoy one at a time over the period of an hour with his first ever HI reading on the meter I was panicked. I caught him running up the stairs with the last cookie in his mouth. I called the Endo on call explained what happened and she chuckled and said it's ok let him eat.

I let him have dessert daily but, it isn't something big like cake or pie. Usually a cookie or we love the little ice cream Dibs. He can have a couple and they are only a few carbs because they are bite size. I use whole grain pasta which has helped with the spaghetti spike and he loves his pizza made on whole grain Pitas. Joseph's brand is low carb and if you grill them in a pan for a minute or so first and then put the toppings on the crust isn't soggy.:)

Hope the Celiacs testing turns out ok. If it's positive, I have seen a lot of posts on it here so I am sure you will have plenty of support.

8. buckmarko

I wanted to update. We went to the Doctor yesterday, and he doesn't think my son has Celiac! We have to get some blood work done in about 3 weeks. We'll know for sure then.

9. Illinifan

Illinifan Approved members

Be happy that your endo put you on Lantus right away. We did NPH for over a year and had to match the food to the insulin instead of the insulin to the food.

Btw, I responded to your pm and if there's anything else you need, please just let me know.

Here's hoping for a negative celiac dx!