- advertisement -

New

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Kyra's Mom, May 13, 2011.

1. Kyra's Mom

Kyra's Mom Approved members

Hi, my 4 year old daughter was dx on 04/20/2011. A week before I took her to the doctor I said to my husband that I hoped she didn't have diabetes. I have no idea why I said that to him. Her diabetes was caught so early that she is only using 2 units of Lantus at night before bed. This is such a big adjustment to our lives and is really overwhelming. My husband is a nurse but for some reason our daughter does not want him to help her with anything so I feel like all of the responsibility has landed squarely on my shoulders. It is so strange to look at my baby and think that some day she will need multiple shots of insulin a day to be able to live a normal life. I think she is actually adjusting better than either her father or I. I so appreciate a place to read about other families that are going through the same things I am.

2. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

Hello and welcome to our "family". Your feeling of being overwhelmed echoes what everyone feels when their child is first diagnosed. Believe me when I tell you that it will get easier as time goes on. The fact that your husband is a nurse puts you at a distinct advantage at this early stage of the game...even though your daughter does not want his involvement at this time. I bet it will only be temporary.

Please come back often and ask questions, We are all here to help in any way we can so that you can make Diabetes a smaller part of your life.

3. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

I am sorry. We will help any way we can.

4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hello and welcome:cwds: My son Steven was 3 years and 4 months old when he was diagnosed. I completely understand the feeling of being overwhelmed. To me it was if someone had pulled the rug out from under me and kicked me in the stomach, all in the same day:( I promise you, these feelings wont last forever. For now be patient with yourself, read books about type 1 diabetes, there are some excellent ones. And know that we understand what youre going through right now. We understand the helpless and hopeless feeling you have right now.

Kyra's going to be just fine:cwds: and you will be too. She can still do anything and be anything that she wants to be. There are so many famous people with type 1 diabetes youd be surprised, I know I was. After Steven was diagnosed I kept hearing about all these famous people with type 1 diabetes. You come back here anytime, to ask questions or to vent or just to say that youre sad about diabetes. We're here;)

5. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

New Diagnosis

My son is four now and was diagnosed at 2 1/2. We were lucky enough to catch his diabetes early also.

My son usually wants his mom too, so dad is mostly a backup. There are so many adjustments to life you feel like you are in a whirlwind. Things will get better; just keep reading and asking questions.

Let us know how we can help. Networking is fantastic. I always learn something here.

6. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Welcome to CWD.

7. mommabear

mommabear Approved members

welcome..I love this forum..I have got alot of good info here:) It is nice to get feed back.. Sorry that your here, but welcome:)

8. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

Welcome to our forum. My son was diagnosed at 20 months. Most of our children are pumping, and don't have to worry about multiple injections.

9. Chris&Amber

Chris&Amber Approved members

Welcome!
    Our son Billy was diagnosed about 2 years ago. I hope the people here are able give you a lot of helpful advice!