- advertisement -

new to the forum

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by susanlindstrom16, Jan 16, 2013.

1. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

Hi everyone!
    I'm new to the forum and just wanted to introduce myself. My 4 year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 in May 2012. It was a big shock and a lot of adjustments. But now she is doing quite well. She just got over having the flu last week and is now back to her normal cheerful energetic self.

Her being sick was so scary for me so i was thankful to have these boards to lurk on- even though i couldn't formulate a post in my state of panic at the time:). It was just helpful to know that there are people out there going through this too.

Hope everyone has a great day! Crappy weather here in NJ!

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Welcome but sorry you have to be here.

3. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Hi there
    Sorry you have to join us, but glad you are here. It sounds like you are handling things well.
    I'm in NJ too. 2 hour delayed openings for my kids. Was glad to get the extra sleep!

4. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Glad you "outed" yourself, hope you jump in with any questions when you need it, we've all been in your shoes and felt completely out of our element. Heck, I still feel that way most of the time, but we muddle on.

5. Anyelday

Anyelday Approved members

Welcome! We are new here too. My 5 year old daughter was diagnosed Christmas Eve. My husband and I are from NJ but now live in SC.

6. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Welcome! We are enjoying that same crappy weather here in southeastern PA!

My son was dx at age 4 too...and there is so much adjustment. He is 8 now...with a lot of "firsts" under our belt and a lot more confidence. I'm at the point now where I actually have to guard myself about being too complacent and comfortable (I know that is probably unthinkable to you at this point)...such as sometimes not checking after a mild low when I am very confident he will come up. To be honest, there have been times he didn't come up right away...you should always check. On Christmas Eve, he ran out to play with his cousins in the snow....and I only realized later that I didn't check him before he went out...and didn't even worry about the extra activity causing a low. (He does feel his lows very consistently though.) That's the first time it happened...inadvisable, but it felt good to forget D for a little while! Just know that you will not always feel the way you do now...even many months into it. D continues to sink into our lives...and not float on top like it used to where you're always bumping into it!;):)

7. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

My son was diagnosed a little over a year ago. He was five years old :( Glad you found this forum...it is a treasure of information! Welcome!

8. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

Thanks guys!
    yeah in way I am definitely glad to have her "first" getting sick over with. even though i was freaking out at the time, at least now we kind of know what to expect with regard to ketones and we will be better prepared for next time...although i am really hoping there won't be a next time anytime soon!

9. khannen

khannen Approved members

Welcome. My daughter was diagnosed a week after her 3rd birthday. That was almost six years ago. I remember how lost I felt in that first year. Take one day at a time. Congrats on getting through the flu. Illness is always rough with D in the picture. Glad you found your way here.

10. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

Welcome

Welcome to the forum. I love this place for sharing and information.

My son was diagnosed at 2/12 and is now 5 1/2.

I just wanted to let you know that your child can live an active life. My son has played soccer, tball, basketball and is quite an athlete. We keep an eye on his blood sugar, have prepared snacks and drinks, but let him play like every other kid.

Feel free to ask questions to the expert parents here. I figured out quickly that these parents know much more than pediatric endos - because those doctors don't live with young toddlers/children 24/7.

Good luck.

11. LucyAmber

LucyAmber Approved members

Welcome! I'm kinda new here too.