- advertisement -

New to the forum...And to Diabetes!

Discussion in 'Teens' started by LexieGirl96, Jun 12, 2011.

1. LexieGirl96

LexieGirl96 Approved members

Hello everyone,

I'm Lexie, and I'm in Colorado. About two weeks ago, I was officially diagnosed with Juvenile Diabetes (Type 1). It really came out of no where, and threw me for a loop. Especially when I was put in the Pediatric ICU for DKA.

It had honestly just started with a cold, since it was flu season. But then at school, I couldn't walk across the hall without getting tired. And the heavy breathing started. We had gone to my doctor, thinking it was an upper respiratory thing. Which I have been known to have. Soo...The doctor gave me Prednisone! (Steroids!)

On my last day of school, I ended up going home half an hour early (after yearbook signings...I only went because of that. Everyone told me to go home.) And we had ended up going to the ER later that night. The doctors there didn't do any blood, or urine. Which we now know would have caught it. Instead, they tried to tell me I had a pulled chest muscle!

The next day, I'm like...about to die, y'know? Every breath was a full inhale, and a full exhale. And it STILL didn't feel like enough air was getting inside my body.

My mom, thankfully, demanded blood work. If she hadn't, they wouldn't have done it. Because our ER sucks major crud. I'm tired as all heck, and really only know what happens next because my mom retold the story:

They waited another hour to draw blood, and then it took another like...20 minutes before that came back. The nurse had gone running in, to get blood gases. My mom asked why he was so frantic, and my blood sugar was at 394. My breath was also sweet.

My mom overheard the doctors outside the room debating whether or not to take me to the hospital by helicopter, or by ambulance. Ended up being ambulance, and by the time I arrived I was unresponsive.

My mom got me to respond finally, which is good. Because if I hadn't, they wouldn't have been able to treat me. Because apparently with Ketoacidosis, from ages 8-16, there's a large chance of brain swelling. So by the time they treated that (if they did), my organs would've been in failure.

So, my diagnosis hasn't been a particularly happy one, but my family and I are finally getting into routine, and getting things back to normal. It's really just hit me that I'm diabetic, so I've been rather emotional as of late. But I'm feeling great.

My friends ended up throwing me a "Glad you aren't dead party", and brought diet rootbeer. Bless their hearts.

So, as a complete newbie (well, not completely. Grannie dearest is diabetic), is there any advice you guys could give me?

2. Timmy Mac

Timmy Mac Approved members

First I just want to say hi and welcome to the club! sorry you have to be here!

Heres a few tips
    -always carry your insulin, meter, and something sugary with you (since you're a girl, just put them in your purse)
    -you can pretty much eat whatever you want if you take the insulin for it.
    -get good at estimating the carbs in things. this is probably one of the most useful tips there is. it takes a little while, but being able to estimate fairly close will be a great help when it comes to restaurants.
    -sugar free does not mean carb free. so don't eat 10 cookies and think it wont affect your bloodsugar.
    -learn some witty comments to combat stupid questions. Q: "Does that hurt?" A: "Want to find out?" *points with needle*
    -and finally, dont let diabetes stop you from doing anything you want to do. You control it not the other way around.

3. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

Oh no. I have a cold. Great. I might get diagnosed with diabetes:(! Oh, yeah, I forgot, I already have it :p. LOL. Lame attempt at a joke.

Take it one day at a time. If you mess up, remember that every person with diabetes has messed up. Carry lots of snacks. Breathe. Don't be afraid to try pumping. Make your doctor work for YOU. Don't panic when you're really low or high. Treat it and move on. Dwelling on it can cause burnout. Read about other people with D, like on here, or blogs. Here's a start: www.sixuntilme.com

4. LexieGirl96

Timmy:
    So far, I've just been carrying Calorie King with me, everywhere I go. That's actually been pretty helpful, but also a pain to find the exact thing, or something similar.

Hah, that witty joke made me laugh. I liked that one, may have to steal it! I'll definitely work on them, though!

I'm still trying to get a handle on all my blood sugars and such, but my friend Steve has an older brother who's diabetic. He's had it for three years, and since then he's: ran two marathons, gotten certified in sucba diving, gone skydiving, traveled the world, gotten his flying license (which only 400 type-one diabetics have gotten) and is now training for a half Iron Man (a 75 mile race).

My mind was completely blown! Only trouble is for me, I'm not a big athletics person. To be honest, I'm rather clumsy. So...lots of dog walking I guess, for me.

DiabeticAngel:
    I'm very, very comfortable with my doctor. He's amazing, to be honest. After I got diagnosed, he gave us his personal cell phone number, and started having us call him at every meal time, and before bedtime to go over dosage and carb-counting. He's really nice and explains things thoroughly, too.

I'm hoping to get the pump before my freshman year stars. Needles kinda scare me, and I want to have the number of them as small as I can!

Thanks!

5. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

I'm glad that you like your doc! That is very important! If you use a pump set with an inserter, then you don't even really have to see the needle until you pull it out, which helps.

6. LexieGirl96

Oh yes! Me and my mom have been looking at the omnipod. We really like what we've seen so far. But alas, that is a few months away.

7. josmom

josmom Approved members

welcome to the club. its so much fun.......NOT! but it can lead to fun things like diabetic camp and u can get a thing called a guest assistance card at amusement parks so that u dont have to wait in line, which is pretty awesome. goood luck:D