- advertisement -

New to the board, DD dx 11/2012, 3 y/o

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by beccalecca1, Mar 2, 2013.

1. beccalecca1

beccalecca1 New Member

Hi everyone! My dd was dx 11/2012 with T1D while in the hospital, at 3 y/o. This floored me because I'm a nurse, and I had a hard time dealing with not catching it before she was in DKA; but it all came on so suddenly I guess. Since her diagnosis she's handling it like a dream! We're using MDI, we had a malfunction with the Nova pen in the hospital and I'm more comfortable with knowing she is getting the proper dose of insulin.

I'm new to this board so I'm reaching out there for any pointers/tips on meals. When she was first diagnosed and taking insulin, she was gorging when it came to food. We'd count her carbs and limit them, but then she'd be hungry and crying in between meals so we'd give her free foods. She did this for about 2 weeks and now we have issues with getting her to eat any carbs. Since she's on both Lantus and Novolog, we try to get her to eat some carbs during meal time and it's always a fight. Anyone have any pointers out there? I don't want to get to the point of us giving her a sugary food item instead of her eating a better carb choice.

2. Yellow Tulip

Yellow Tulip Approved members

Hi Paige,

Welcome to the boards and I'm so sorry about your daughter diagnosis. You've come to the right place, with many knowledgable and caring people, though.

When your daughter was diagnosed, she was starving, since her body had not been able to use carbs for a while when the diabetes was developing. That's why she was so hungry. My son lost 10lbs. prediagnosis, and for a couple of weeks after he was diagnosed, he ate like I'd never seen him eat before.

A growing child needs carbs for their bodies to develop properly. I wouldn't restrict her carb intake, but make sure her carbs are nutritious. Basically the same guidelines as for a child without diabetes. I don't think my son eats any different than if he didn't have T1. You don't want food battles. I know it's tough with a 3 year old, hopefully other parents with children close to your daughter's age will chime in. Hang in there, it gets easier.

3. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Hi and welcome to our community.

I totally second what the above poster says. I'd like to add to avoid using "Hey, let's eat some carbs" type of situation. Try to keep it relaxed and just put the food on the table and deal with the testing/dosing as matter-of-fact as you can. Not easy, but it is doable for the most part. Just a thought. It may help with food fights.:cwds:

Getting your child to help prepare some of the meals may also help.

If it continues, don't hesitate to seek help from your D team nutritionist.

4. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

Hi and welcome to the boards, though sorry you had reason to find them. My son is now 4 and we have dealt with diabetes for 3 years.

As to meal time help, I 'd be happy to give a few pointers, but have a few questions first. 1) are you on a sliding scale with a preset amount of carbs for each meal or are you carb counting? 2) Are you bolusing before meals?

I'm just wandering because it is quite common for endo's to start a new diagnosis with a sliding scale a set amount of carbs for each meal while trying to get dosages right. Many also do this so you can start the habit of prebolusing for meals. However, toddlers and preschoolers are known for being finicky eaters in general. When my son was younger we never knew what he would eat or not, so we measured his food before and after eating and bolused based on actual carbs eaten. We also waited to bolus after meals, we did have quite a few meals where he would only eat meat or not touch his food at all. Now he is more predictable so we bolus 15-30 grams of carbs depending on the food and time of meal, then bolus the rest afterwards. Granted, this is easier with a pump rather than MDI, but is still doable on MDI. If your son is on really small amounts of insulin, you may talk to your doctor about diluted insulin as well.

5. beccalecca1

beccalecca1 New Member

Thank you for your response! We have a sliding scale for her pre-meal sugar checks, and then an amount we treat for how many carbs she eats. Currently (I say this because it's has changed so much from the beginning diagnosis period), she takes 1 unit of Novolog for every 30 grams of carbs breakfast and dinner, 1 unit for every 25 grams of carbs. We don't give her any insulin until after she eats, although we probably could give her insulin if her sugar is running a little higher prior to meals. I guess we avoid that with the theory the less shots the better. And, she is just like your son was, you can give her 15 grams of potatoes, or a slice of bread; and she may eat half. Some days she may eat all of it. Or, she may surprise us and not want to eat it at all and we try to substitute it with some form of a carb she will eat.

Also, to the other posters, I actually made my signature wrong I think. My daughter's name is Paige, not mine. But thanks for the warm welcomes here :)