advertisement

new to tandem

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Ali, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Ali

Ali Approved members

Hello
    Long time poster/T1 from teens but an adult. I have used Medtronics pump and cgms for years, pump for many years. I just got in the mail my Tandem X2 pump...Slowly learning how to use this new pump:):) It is so interesting how automated my habits are after what is maybe 20 years of pump use with one brand:):). So I am slowly working through the set up. I use so many short cuts and ignore so much on my Medtronic that I am anxious to get to that point with my Tandem.I am still using my Medtronic pump and CGMS and will switch when I get my Dexcom supplies, but am programing my pump. Anywho, as someone really in the habit of one system I will be reaching out to you experienced parents for any glitches I experience.

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

The set-up takes a bit to get used to, but once you do, it's nice and much easier than Medtronic to reprogram. I like the half-unit carb ratio factors and that ISF can differ with profiles (think hormone effects). I never used the easy bolus on the Medtronic, but my daughter tells me that she quick-boluses on the t-slim a lot. I always go into the whole setting when I operate it, but that's during the night when I want to see IOB, extended bolus remaining, etc. before deciding my action plan. Daytimes I would be invading her personal space to operate it. She wishes I could operate it remotely through my phone so she could ignore any and all alarms and still have an in-range A1C. AP mom job description? :rolleyes:

rgcainmd likes this.
  3. Mimikins

Mimikins Approved members

I love Tandem's quick bolus feature. I keep my pump in my bra (helps keep the tubing away from things or people that might rip it out), so at least with the quick bolus feature I don't need to worry about digging through my shirt to pull out my pump, bolus, and then fiddle around with Tandem's new/awful clip to get it back in my bra.

The big thing I recommend is to go slow when programming the pump and when playing around with the touch screen blousing for the first time. It's super easy to accidentally program it to deliver insulin for 90g of carbs instead of 60g if you're going too fast and hit the wrong button.

4. Ali

Ali Approved members

Thanks everyone for the tips. I set my Max bolus setting a a low amount to avoid that button carbs mistake on my pump and will make sure to do the same with Tandem, appreciate the heads up on the button issues though.

5. Ali

Ali Approved members

So I am two weeks into my new Tandem X2 and Dexcom CGMS system. I switched from being a long long time user of Medtronics Pump and CGMS System. Was able to use that system just fine. No issues with the switch. I am using Apidra in the TSlim pump with no issues. A bit of an adjustment to a different button pushing/screen system on the Tandem pump from the Medtronics. I use the Tandem pump for all my info/CGMS and pump. I do not use my phone or the Dexcom receiver. The screen is good. The Dexcom is very accurate in the 90 to 180 range, very very accurate. It tends to run low when trending down below 80, but I have figured that out. :):). I find the pump easy to use, a few more steps than my Medtronics but easy. I do find the cartrage filling process time consuming...after using it for three months if still a slow process will meet with the Tandem Rep and see if there is anything I can do to speed the process up. I love the micro dosing, I get better results from that. I love being able to micro adjust insulin amounts. The CGMS is not as easy to insert as the Medtronics but nothing major. Will update again in month.

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Glad the switch hasn't been too hard for you! I agree that the cartridge-filling process is a bit more cumbersome, but overall, we don't really miss the Medtronic pumps or CGM.