- advertisement -

new to pump- site questions

Discussion in 'Insulin Pumps' started by Zakandsamsmom, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Zakandsamsmom

Zakandsamsmom Approved members

Hi. My son just started on the minimed revel 523 Wednesday. So far it seems to be working well although we are still tweaking the numbers. He is almost 9 and loves it which is great.

The biggest problem we are having is that he consistently complains the site is hurting him. We are using the Sure T. He always wants it on his stomach (the 5 times we've now changed it) which seems tender. I talked him into trying it closer to his backside, but of course now his pants are rubbing on it. We are also having trouble with the adhesive on his skin. It leaves it bright red and rashy.

He's pretty skinny and has really fair skin. Any tips on where to put it and how to do this more smoothly resulting in less discomfort would be great.

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

A couple of thoughts:

- try the shorter needle length is you aren't already using it
    and
    - pinch the skin a bit before inserting the needle in. This way you make sure it goes in the fat.

Sometimes, my son does complain of it hurting, but the pain goes away after a while. He uses the sets on his butt.

To avoid adhesive reaction, try using a skin barrier, like Tegaderm or something liek that (ask your endo for samples to try:cwds:). You can put that on the skin before inserting the set. Sometimes, though, it can be the actual needle which is causing the reaction, so you have to see which is which. Try the skin barrier first and see what happens.

PS- just for info, my son is now 8 and weighs about 23 Kilos.

3. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

My daughter is 10 and has been pumping for 6 years now. We have only ever used the steel needle sets and she HATES them in her tummy. We just can't go there. We use upper/outer hip and upper butt and they seem to have good absorption. Placement is very important to be away from waistbands etc. You can also try back of the arm with the connector on the shoulder to help the tubing flow up the sleeve and down the back.
    Hopefully you will find somewhere that works well for him. :cwds:

4. Jaredsmom

Jaredsmom Approved members

Are you using anything to dissolve the adhesive prior to removing the old site? If you aren't that should help. We use detachol. We tried skin so soft for awhile but although it does work it just doesn't work as well as the detachol. Unisolve works good as well but we didn't like the swabs and thought we wasted a lot. If we don't use anything to dissolve the adhesive prior to removing Jared's pods or Dexcom sites it leaves it red for hrs afterwards.

5. Zakandsamsmom

Zakandsamsmom Approved members

Thank you very much for the ideas!:D

Our last site change went better. He didn't scream, which I took as an improvement.;) We tried the leg-his suggestion and I did pinch the fat first.

We do have an adhesive remover the doc gave us. It doesn't seem to have a name. It helped some. Medtronic is sending us a "sample box" of skin barriers and adhesive removers so that we can try a few different ones and see what works best.

I must say that I have been incredibly impressed by Medtronics customer service!

6. Mom2Will

Mom2Will Approved members

My son is 9 going on 10 (have to say that for him :)) thin, and fair complextion. We use the arms, legs and belly. He really prefers the arms lately. Just never know, that changes all the time and we insist he use a different area each set change. It goes something like this: right arm, left arm, right leg, left leg, belly then all over again. He tries to trip us up by telling us he is on the first arm ....I keep notes now.

As for the redness, we've found that we must use alchohol before insertion. Do not have any idea why but it works for us. We do set changes after baths and I'm not sure if we weren't getting the spot dry enough or what but once we started using the alcohol regularly there were no more incidents of redness. Could have been that soap residue was still there, who knows...I just know it isn't happening anymore!