advertisement

New to Minimed Pumping

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Emma'sParents, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Emma'sParents

Emma'sParents Approved members

Hello,

Our goal when our daughter was first Dx'd was to have her on a pump. Now it's here. We're happy, but adjusting...

Just looking for thoughts on finding basilar rates, ratios and such.

Lots of lows to start (was this another honeymoon?). Pendulum swung back the other way w/ Thanksgiving. Now attempting to fine tune.

Emma's managed through Joslin Clinic in Boston. Can't ask for much better. Just looking for other input.

Thanks,

-Brian & Cyndi

2. Wendyb

Wendyb Approved members

We have a 5 year old and have been pumping for just over a year. From my experience, it took my own tweaking over the first weeks/months to find the right rates. Endo helped once or twice with sensitivity factor and an I/C ratio. You could check out Pumping Insulin by Walsh. My criticism after reading it is that many of the examples in the charts and graphs relate to older type 1's ---with larger insulin requirements. Therefore, charts never extended down to our level. Plus, it is harder to do basal testing with kids because of the fasting part. However, it was a sound book and helped me gain a greater understanding of how it all fits together.

Congrats on pumping.

3. Emma'sParents

Thanks Wendy

4. Dad of Daughters

Dad of Daughters Approved members

I agree with Wendy, some good principles available in Walsh book. Do your homework and you'll be surprised how quickly you catch on. One of the best places to do lots of reading is here. Between the conversation and links that are available, there is enough material to keep you busy and get you well equipped to manage D.

5. Emma'sParents

Thanks for the advice.

"Do your homework and you'll be surprised how quickly you catch on."

Um, not quite sure how to take that...

6. Dad of Daughters

Dad of Daughters Approved members

Brian & Cyndi,

I meant exactly what I said but without ANY disrespect intended AT ALL. I'm sorry if that's how you took what I said. Maybe putting it like this will help. There is a seemingly unending amount of information available about how to best utilize a pump. Once I realized this, I became a voracious reader on this topic. Using things I picked up from many different places, not the least of which was this board, I feel like I "caught on" to pump therapy pretty quickly and was surprised at how a piece of equipment with so much functionality was able to be understood and maximized in the care of our daughter. I was only trying to encourage you with a personal testimony that I did lots of homework and am very happy with how things have gone. I hope this clears things up, all the best.

7. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

Hey guys, our little Emma got on the MM pump when she was 14 months old, and the best advice I can offer is that your Emma's basal rates, when you do finally nail them down, can still change very quickly. I also recommend Walsh's book highly.

Feel free to pop in and ask anything. We've all been there.

8. adamsmom

adamsmom Approved members

We LOVE the flexibility of the pump, especially for adjusting basals. This summer Adam went through serious dawn phenomenon--we adjusted basals accordingly.We also use the temp basal feature a lot.

9. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I think some of the best advice I got was to get overnight down first. This means testing every couple of hours until you have her as flat at night as possible. It also means that she'll wake up at a good number. Once you have nights down, you can play with basals and I:C ratios during the day.

Good luck! You'll be surprised how quickly you'll become a pro!