- advertisement -

new to diabetes type 1

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Nevaeh's mommy, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Nevaeh's mommy

Nevaeh's mommy Approved members

Hi, my husband and I just found out Sunday, October 23rd that our 4year old daughter has diabetes type one. Its been a whirlwind and we still are feeling completely overwhelmed but super glad a new friend told me about this site!

2. Adrienne

Adrienne Approved members

I'm sorry about your daughter's dx. This is an awesome place for help, guidance, and strength. It does get easier. I remember at the hospital at my daughter's dx, thinking that I didn't know how on earth I was EVER gonna do it. I knew I would, because there wasn't any other choice, but I was scared to death. I did do it though, and you will too:)

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Just wanted to say welcome and sorry you have to be here. It does feel overwhelming at first but as time goes on you will feel much more comfortable doing all the things you need to do to keep your child safe and healthy. All the parents here are proof of that.

It will be helpful to create a signature and include some basic information about your child, like age, when diagnosed, what kind of insulin they are on, etc. At the top left of the screen there is a "User CP" icon. Click on that and then look down to "Edit Signature".

Here are some books you may find useful:

Understanding Diabetes (aka The Pink Panther book)
    by Dr. Peter Chase of the Barbara Davis Center at the University of Colorado.
    http://www.childrensdiabetesfdn.org/publications.html

Think Like a Pancreas: A Practical Guide to Managing Diabetes with Insulin
    by Gary Scheiner, Barry Goldstein
    http://www.amazon.com/Think-Like-Pan.../dp/1569244367

Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace
    by Betty Page Brackenridge, MS, RD, CDE & Richard R. Rubin, PhD, CDE.
    Published by the American Diabetes Association, 2002. 250 pages. Softcover.
    http://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Kids-Bal.../dp/1580401244

Type 1 Diabetes: A Guide for Children, Adolescents and Young Adults -- and Their Caregivers
    by Ragnar Hanas, M.D. Published by Marlowe & Company, New York,
    http://www.amazon.com/Type-Diabetes-.../dp/1569243964

Finally, in addition to the forums there is a chat room here where you can talk to other parents in "real time".

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/chat/

4. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

:cwds:Just want to welcome you and say hi. My daughter is 5 and was diagnosed about 2 1/2 months ago. I know how shocking and rough it is in the beginning, but it will get better. This place is wonderful. Glad you found it.

5. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

Welcome, and it's nice to meet you. Sorry, it had to be this way, however.

6. caspi

caspi Approved members

Welcome to the forum, but am sorry you have to be here. As overwhelming as it may feel right now, I assure you it does get better! Please remember that we are all here for you and do not be afraid to ask, ask, ask any questions you might have! :cwds:

7. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

Welcome to the forum. I'm so glad someone directed you here, though sorry you're in a position to join this group. This is a wonderful place to come with questions, concerns, and for support when needed. The whirlwind feels pretty intense, just remember to take some time to shut everything out for a few minutes and snuggle extra close with your little one.

8. Nevaeh's mommy

Nevaeh's mommy Approved members

Thank you!

Thank you all so much! I am extremely glad I have this support group now to learn from and post my feelings!

9. willie's mom

willie's mom Approved members

I am from the same area. We have a support groups that meets every other month in Greer, SC. Let me know with a private message if you need anything. I would be glad to talk with you.

10. Ivan's Mum

Ivan's Mum Approved members

Two of the best books that I refer to all the time.

Sorry that you're joining our club. It may seem overwhelming, and you'll never feel at ease with it but you will wake up one day in the not too distant future and think 'hey, I know what i'm doing'. You will become more of an expert that your childs endo because, everyone here will tell you, it's not one size fits all.

Best of luck.

11. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

It is so rough and scary in the beginning...I never thought I would have happy days again...But 3 months into this life gets back to a "new" normal...my son is happy and smiling....enjoying life....rough patches along the way...still praying for a cure.....days of "why him?"....But life moves on as it should...You will get through this..It will get easier(I was told that over and over)....and it does....Big hugs

Shirley

12. Tweety8

Tweety8 Approved members

Welcome to this wonderful forum. I have learned more here, than anywhere. I am sorry for your daughter's dx. It's very very very hard in the beginning. I almost lost my mind, but you WILL get through it and it IS life changing for the entire family. Hugs to you!

13. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

From SC too

I am from SC too - Hanahan - near Charleston.

My son was diagnosed at 2 1/2 - he is now 4 1/2. Let us know how we can help you. I found this site to be so helpful because ENDOS don't live with toddlers 24/7 like parent here do.

One day at a time . . .