- advertisement -

New to Carb Factors

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kellykate, Jun 17, 2012.

1. kellykate

kellykate Approved members

So up until now, we have just been measuring. But I have been reading about carb factors and started using those as well.

Can anyone tell me if they have seen a big difference using carb factors. I guess so far I feel like I can get a very precise number!

Also does anyone have a list of carb factors to share? I have a pretty puny list! :) Thanks!!

2. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

We've done really well with carb factors. Since my son uses a pump, we like having fairly accurate carb counts because we can match them with very accurate doses.

Hopefully, someone will come along with their carb factor lists -- I know there are some great ones I've seen shared here.

(In our case, we just did the math ourselves. Our homemade gluten-free bread is .44 carbs/gram, and gf pastas are almost all .33 c/g.)

3. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  4. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

5. sheeboo

sheeboo Approved members

This is the list I keep in my purse and use at home.

ooops--edited to fix link; it takes a minute to load

6. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

We carb factor and weigh most of the time....but S.W.A.G other times :rolleyes: it works for us! I keep this mini list of carb factors with my cal king book and scale.

Here is a larger list of carb factors.

7. emm142

emm142 Approved members

So when you measure, how are you getting the carb grams without using a carb factor? Usually food packages give the carb grams per 100g, so carb factors always just seemed the most obvious way to do it for me.

8. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Here in the USA they don't give the carb grams per 100 grams. You have to divide the number of carb grams in serving size by the weight of the serving size itself and then once you have the answer you move the decimal place to places to the left. In Europe they give you the carb factor on the package already.
    It is a bit more work for us but once you learn how it is fairly easy.

9. kellykate

kellykate Approved members

Thanks so much for the lists! Using carb factors seems to really help us get exacts on carbs for all the partially eaten food a 2-year-old goes through in a day! Ha!

10. Serenia

Serenia Approved members

so how would it be done in Canada?

as an example I have bread

1 serving is 2 slices and there are 13 g of carbs in that serving.

how would we use those numbers?

11. swellman

swellman Approved members

If you assume that each slice weighs exactly what the service size is then it would be 13g CHO although I haven't seen many breads with 6.5g CHO per slice.

US Nutritional labels have both the service size as descriptive (1 slice) and by weight or volume (say 28g for a slice of bread). People who weigh will weigh the bread or cereal (which is a better example to be honest) and determine what the actual-to-serving ratio is:

Nutritional Label says that 1 cup (28g) of cereal has 22g carbs and 4g fiber.

First determine the Actual-to-serving ratio by weighing the cereal.

(our son likes more than a cup of cereal so he pours 42g of cereal.

Actual weight/Serving size weight = Actual-to-serving ratio

42/28 = 1.5

Determine the net carbs per serving

(22c CHO - 4g fiber) = 18g net carbs

Multiple net carbs by the Actual-to-serving ratio.

18 X 1.5 = 27g CHO

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  12. Deal

Deal Approved members

Nice job explaining Swellman, also the nutrition labels are the same here in Canada.

You can also ask at most restaurants, especially if they are a chain or fastfood place, and they will have the nutrition information, including carb counts, available.

There are lots of books, calculators, scales, even phone apps that have many carb counts / carb factors listed.

Serenia, double check that bread label. Most mass produced bread slices are 13-17 carbs per slice.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  13. Serenia

Serenia Approved members

Way to much math for my liking!!! :(

I started a blog about Diabetic maths - see signature link - but I can tell you now - that what Swellman wrote above - went right over my head!!!

I double checked the bread. Chalet Whole Wheat Bread

per 2 slices - TWO slices - NOT ONE slice!!!
    carbohydrates - 22 g - 7%
    fibre 3g
    sugar 2g

So what is in this bread if it only has 3% fibre??
    And it is supposed to be 100% whole wheat??
    I think we need to STOP buying Chalet bread!!!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  14. swellman

Not 3% ... 3 grams.

There's 22 grams of carbohydrate and 3 grams of fiber for a total of (22-3) = 19 grams of carbs in 2 slices. That's about what we use - a white wheat.

That's about 14% fiber.

It's just 3 numbers and 1 scale reading for a total of 4 numbers and 3 operators - one subtraction, one division and one multiplication ... it's really not that hard.

15. Serenia

Serenia Approved members

Yes I should have typed 3 g - sorry. :eek:

So my first carbs counting class will be on Tuesday July 3rd, so I guess I will learn how to do all this then...

16. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

or blog less, math more ;)

17. swellman

I don't intend to sound mean but the first thing you need to learn, understand and get your head around is that you are NOT at fault for your son's diagnosis. You do not need that on top of dealing with the disease.

18. sheeboo

sheeboo Approved members

I do it a bit differently....only two steps, if that helps make it easier for you. (Please let me know if I'm missing something Swellman)

I divide the carbs listed per serving by the serving size to get the carb factor. So if there are 18g net carbs in a 28g serving, the carb factor would be: .64

Then I multiply the carb factor by the actual weight of the serving. In your example that would be: .64 * 42 = 27g CHO

I put stickers on all the packaged foods our daughter eats with the carb factor, or write it on the carton/package so it's there for the next time. After three months, I already remember most of the ones for the foods she eats regularly.

19. swellman

That's the exact same thing minus (no pun intended) the fiber subtraction.

We write the carb ratio on the packages as well and jot a few others down for future use as well.

20. Serenia

Serenia Approved members

Strictly speaking I am to blame - Type 1 is an autoimmune disease, and my family as well as myself do have a history of autoimmune disease as well. But that's just me being the realist. But it's done, I have gotten over it, I am not dwelling on it.

Right now I am just concentrating on trying to understand the maths - which looks so complicated.

What does CHO mean?