- advertisement -

new technology coming soon!!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sam1nat2, Jun 21, 2007.

1. 1luckymom

1luckymom Approved members

I can't wait, and unfortunately I will pay if it makes things easier for my daughter.:(

2. bonhamx4

bonhamx4 Approved members

All this new technology sounds great, anything that can make life with D more easier to manage for my son I am all for. I just wish that with all the money they are spending on technology to DEAL with diabetes I wish they would CURE diabetes. (sorry, I am just venting)
    Rich

3. bluemom

bluemom Approved members

When the cost of diabetes is over $132 BILLION a year, I doubt that a cure is their main concern. It's all for new and improved technology instead.

4. Tena

Tena Approved members

right on! They make so much $$ off of us already. Why not more? The problem though with us is that just the routine meds and supplies cost so much WITH insurance that there is no way to do any thing if the ins doesn't cover. Not only do we have to deal with the daily frustrations of D but the financial burden as well. Will it ever end?????????

5. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

I highly doubt that financial reasons are anyone's hesitation for a cure. I know many drs working on finding a cure for many different diseases. Is it going to cost them their job if they find a cure? Absolutely NOT!!! Do you think minimed is standing in the way of researchers by spending 350 million on research and development this year alone?

Many people at the cutting edge of technology for diabetes supplies are diabetics themselves, don't you think they want a cure as much as we do? Those people know way more than us the limitations of these devices and would love to see a cure.

Many people do not understand that when a product comes to market, 20 have been ixnayed before that. Millions of dollars down the drain when it fails to perform as hoped.

I want a cure as much as anyone, but until then I'm just thankful that we are on the horizon for new technology to keep the kids healthy until a cure is found.

6. jeep_bluetj

jeep_bluetj Approved members

What sam1nat2 said.

If there WAS better tech that worked, we'd have it. Because SOMEBODY would want to sell it to us (CGMS for example)

If there was a cure, we'd have it. Look at how much press even little developments get.

Sure, company XYZ makes billions off of test strips or insulin or whatever. But company ABC can walk in and start selling non-invasive glucometers. ABC wins, XYZ loses. Its the way it goes. I'll love the day when test strips go the way of buggywhips (and it's approaching, it surely is)

Most often, the simplest explanation is the true one. There is no conspiracy. We really did go to the moon. There is no 100mpg carburator. Herbs dont cure D. Abbot labs doesn't send out hit squads against researchers that are close to a cure.

7. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

Yeah I have to agree with Jeff and sam1nat2. Someone else said it better in a different thread, but whoever comes up with the cure for D is going to be a kajillionaire. There is most certainly a financial incentive to find a cure.

8. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

A couple points.

1. The FDA will be present at CWD's Friends for Life conference in Orlando in July. If you're coming to the conference, you will have ample opportunity to meet and talk with their representatives.

2. I would be extremely skeptical of any continuous sensor that claimed to function well after an initial calibration just 30 minutes after insertion. A lot is happening in the body at the point of the probe -- this is after all an injury to the body (though a very minor one). All CGM systems seem to perform better after many hours, after which the initial inflamation and response to the insertion by the body has "settled down." (Interestingly, some sensors seem to do better days after the insertion.)

3. No one -- and I mean no one -- is holding back a cure to earn more money for a company. People who advance this argument are simply and completely wrong. Every major company involved in diabetes has many, many employees who have type 1 diabetes, often in very senior positions. They are serious about improving the lives of people with type 1, and many companies are investing in cure-related research. This is not something they can publicize until there is evidence, but I am aware of several efforts.

4. Finding a cure for type 1 diabetes has proven to be much harder than anyone imagined it ever could be. Countless physicians and researchers around the world have and are devoting their lives to this pursuit, and one day one or more of these incredible teams will succeed. When? I would not begin to hazard a guess.

9. bluemom

bluemom Approved members

I would like to know if JDRF is financially supporting research in encapsulated piglet islet cells? Also, why is JDRF so gung ho on trying to create an artificial pancreas? I do not see how this could ever, EVER work. But then again, I am probably naive.

10. Twinklet

Twinklet Approved members

I used to think this way, until someone pointed out to me the vast majority of people with diabetes have Type 2, which is a very different disease. People with Type 2 use strips, meters, insulins and insulin pumps. Our Endo's office has a whole team dedicated to Type 2's on pumps. So while a cure could perhaps mean a loss for some companies, it wouldn't be nearly as bad as one would think.