- advertisement -

New Study To Be Released

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by SueM, Apr 17, 2012.

1. SueM

SueM Banned

Fatties unite!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Hmmm. Obese at the time the child is born, or obese at diagnosis?

I hadn't heard about the autism study. Do you have a link?

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Here is a piece on it from NPR:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/201...-of-autism-risk-for-children-of-obese-mothers

Oddly every kid I know who has Autism or is on the spectrum (about 6) mothers are actually very trim and 2 are incredibly fit (as in just ran a 5k fit):confused:

Hadn't heard anything about T1 mother/Autism link. Below is a blurb, but it doesn't state if it's T1 or T2 nor does it state obese or diabetes at time of pregnancy or time of diagnosis. Definitely more info needs to be provided.

A new study in the journal Pediatrics suggests that moms who are obese or have diabetes are more likely to have a child with autism or another developmental problem.

4. Deal

Deal Approved members

Do we really need another study that concludes that being overweight is unhealthy. Maybe they should study overweight smokers next.

5. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I would have to assume while preggers.

6. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

Well, I was 110 lbs before pregnancy and only gained less than 30 lbs during pregnancy, have no family history, dd has always been healthier than other kids, and she still developed diabetes. Where do we fit in :rolleyes::confused:

7. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

DD's birthmom was very slim as was my autistic cousin's mom. The autistic child was never vaccinated either. I wish they would concentrate on the legit causes and stop trying to blame moms.

8. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

Well since I gained 45lbs while preggers with C, I can add this to the study that my MIL pointed out to me that said kids with SAHM's may be more prone to type 1 because of the whole "hygiene hypothesis". Yay.:rolleyes: But I could have countered her with how long I nursed C for. Seriously though, I give up. It'll turn out to be something. Probably the mother's fault too, lol.

9. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I don't believe it...I have never been overweight. :rolleyes: Why don't they just concentrate on a CURE. Give me a break!

10. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I don't beleive that they are saying that being obese while preggers WILL cause a DX, but rather IF you are obese the unborn child has a higher chance of a DX compared to the non-obese population.

I do not beleive that it is a far stretch to say that the health of the mother effects the ultimate health of the unborn child?

11. hawkeyegirl

Anecdotes about who was fat and who was not when their child was born are irrelevant here. No one is saying that only fat people have kids with T1 and/or that skinny moms won't have a kid with T1. I think these sorts of studies are actually important, and I don't quite understand why people get so offended about them.

I haven't read the study yet, so I can't say what I think about it, but if there's a correlation, there's a correlation.

12. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I'm not reading that obesity in the mom may cause diabetes, I'm reading it as:
    obesity or diabetes in the mom may be more likely to have a child with autism.

From the NPR report referring to the study:
    A new study in the journal Pediatrics suggests that moms who are obese or have diabetes are more likely to have a child with autism or another developmental problem.

Autism like diabetes has so many ??? as to why it happened. Let's just find a cure for both.

13. BittysMom

I'm not offended and I don't really put too much stock in anecdotes. I was just making light (and maybe I shouldn't have) of all the notions that have been presented to me lately regarding the cause of T1.

14. hawkeyegirl

Oh, I know some folks were just kidding around, but I also got the sense that some people think these sorts of studies are worthless. I disagree. I think it's important to look at potential risk factors for having a T1 child, especially for folks who are already predisposed to a higher risk of having a T1 child (for example, anyone with T1 themselves, anyone with T1 in the family, and anyone who already has a T1 child). If I were planning to have another child, you bet your bootie I'd be looking pretty closely at studies in an attempt to minimize my child's risk as much as possible. If that meant breastfeeding longer, going gluten-free, losing weight, or doing the macarena three times a day while facing East, I'd be doing it.

I don't see these studies as placing blame so much as useful information for people who have not yet had their kids.

15. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

I think it's important to remember that there are a lot of variables that contribute to anyone, child or adult, who gets diabetes or other ailments.

16. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I am not sure if the OP posting this thread was trying to be sarcastic, serious, or what the whole "fatties unite" comment was about. :confused:

But anyway, I think there is a HUGE stretch between saying that the health of the mother effects the unborn child (which I agree with) and saying that being obese while pregnant increases the chance of the child getting Type 1 diabetes (which I DO NOT agree with).

To me it sounds like the "study" took some statistics and is trying to make a causal connection where there probably is none. "Studies" that do that only further serve to perpetuate incorrect and harmful stereotypes about Type 1 diabetes and that is a shame. As Karla said though, I have not seen the study so I am not sure what criteria they used.

17. BittysMom

You're right, they're worth something. -and regardless of how I feel about what comes out of these studies, it would be a big problem for us if they were to become fewer and further in between.

18. hawkeyegirl

I think a more interesting study would look at the mother's health during pregnancy, as opposed to just her body weight or BMI. Is there a correlation between healthy eating and moderate exercise during pregnancy and lower risk of T1 and other diseases? Obese is not the same thing as unhealthy or unfit (especially when BMI is used as the determining factor).

19. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

color me confused? you beleive that the health of a mother and the obesity of a mother are can be seperate? I beleive them to be the same.

Whether it be obesity or being underweight while preggers can effect the unborn child, both are a reflection of the health of the mother.

20. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I think the problem is that the OP posted about a study that hasn't come out yet, so everyone is just guessing at what it means, how it was conducted, what the real conclusions are, etc. And you can see by the different responses that each person has read the OP slightly differently.

I don't see this as useful information unless there is a clear and scientific correlation between the hyposthesis and the conclusion of the study. Otherwise it is just guessing, or worse, manipulating statistics to prove your hypothesis. But since there is no study to look at, I don't know.