- advertisement -

New smaller PODs and failure right out of box

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by 3kidlets, May 20, 2013.

1. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Couldn't believe it. Hana put on a new smaller POD last night for the first time. Within 15 minutes it was screeching.

But the new size is great! This will be a huge improvement with wearing a swim suit every day.

I haven't looked closely at the new IOB function yet. I like how it's displayed right in the home screen though. That's really helpful if her Dex says she's falling. Don't have to punch a bunch of buttons to find it.

2. Luke's Mom

Luke's Mom Approved members

Same thing happened to us. We took advantage of the cut the cord program. We used the Medtronic prior and may very well be going back if we can't get the issues with the pod resolved. It seems since the day we switched every other pod has been bad. It's very strange. The first time we bolus we get an occlusion error. We've tried pinching up the skin - not pinching - there is no Rhyme or reason to it. I'm curious how successful you will be w/ these new pods. We are having a 're-education session' w/ the trainer on Weds. :rolleyes:

3. swellman

swellman Approved members

We've had one failure and it was an occlusion and we are almost through our second box.

4. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

We've had 2 pods deactivate or fail to prime before she even put them on, she's had 1 occlusion and 1 no idea why failure. Hanna is back on her Medtronic by her own choice, I think she likes having the 300 unit cartridge.

5. minniem

minniem Approved members

We switched from Medtronic in March and had 3 failures the first week. We stuck with the Omnipod though, and have had better luck after that. Omnipod was great about replacing pods that failed within the first 2 days. We also started with the smaller pods.

Now DS says he wants to stay with Omnipod. He loves the tubeless feature of the pump. As for why we were having the failures, who knows. Only one was an occlusion failure, the other ones were just "pod failed, replace pod" or something to that effect.

6. Luke's Mom

Luke's Mom Approved members

Pod Failure while he was showering - ugh. Put on another pod - using our arm for the first time ever (never used arm w/ medtronic). Did not pinch up the skin.. Let's see what today brings. He really likes the tubeless feature and is sticking w/ it. The rep called me earlier to ask if we can switch to Novolog - she said there have been some reported problems w/ the new pod and humalog? Anyone have any experience w/ humalog causing probs w/ omnipod? Any yes, omnipod has been great about taking back all these occluded pods!

7. jasonw

jasonw New Member

Bumping this thread back up because I can't find a current thread about pod failures. We have had a bad stretch of pod failures over the past few months, but particularly the past three months. We're approaching 20 pod failures during this time period, all of them being insulin-interrupted failures. We had one set of pods where Omnipod said it was definitely a bad lot, but this latest round we just keep calling them in and they keep replacing them which is great. My question is this: Is this an inordinate amount of failures or par for the course? This is my 7-year old daughter that has only been diagnosed since May 2015, so we are relatively new at this. She started POD Therapy almost right away only three months post-diagnosis.

8. forHisglory

forHisglory Approved members

Wow, I'm sorry that has been your experience the past 3 months. 20 is a ton! I would have lost my mind. It's nice that they replace them, but it takes time to keep calling things in over and over, doing more insertions, losing the insulin, etc. We use the Pod for "tubing breaks" every once in a while. We have a track record of 1 pod failure per about 7...... playground slide (static error), jumping around a lot (typical boy stuff). I thought people played football with them on......so how does a typical 7 year old boy have so many failures? For this reason, the Pod is mainly a back up pump for us. I think it just comes down to individual successes, but since you used the pod a lot to begin with and are just now having so many issues it must be some bad batches you are getting. Maybe insist on them sending out an entire new box vs individual pods to save yourself some time and headache??

9. swellman

swellman Approved members

Was this new packaging? I'm just wondering because I noticed today that our latest shipment was completely different - the box, that is. We're heading out of the country so I was just curious.

10. Cheetah-cub

Cheetah-cub Approved members

YES - an inordinate amount of failures! You need them to replace the entire lot.

11. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

My daughter has been using the OmniPod system for a little over two years and I can still count the number of failed Pods she's had on one hand (OK,maybe I need one or two fingers from the other hand.) My point is that I've never heard of that many failures. Could it be that the OmniPod canulae just don't work for your daughter? Does she rotate sites regularly and does she use different body parts, i.e. arms, tummy, upper bum, lower back, thighs, etc. I've heard of people beginning to have problems even after the relatively short period of time your daughter has been pumping when they use one body part exclusively.

12. caspi

caspi Approved members

I am so sorry you are going through this. We were in your very shoes 2 years ago. We had over 40 pod failures in a 6 month time frame after using the Omnipod for over 4 years with very few issues. It was EXTREMELY frustrating. Insulet was great in the beginning but over time they were convinced it had to be user error (even though as I said my son had been using their product for over 4 years). They actually became downright rude to us towards the end. I kept insisting there was a manufacturing problem with the pods but they kept saying it was user error. We ended up switching pumps and low and behold 9 months later they recalled the Pod lots we had been using. I think there were 12 or so different lots in the recall.

I would recommend you keep track of the pods that are failing and report the pod failure issue to the FDA. https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/medwatch/index.cfm?action=reporting.home

I hope you're able to get things resolved soon!

13. andiej

andiej Approved members

Wow sorry you're having this experience, it's definitely not the norm. 2.5 years of using the POD we've only had 4 fail in that time. I'm also a member on the Omnipod Facebook group and it does seem that those that mention having issues on there tend to be new users, which is strange. I've often wondered at times though if some issues are caused in transit.

14. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

Similar story here. A few years back, we were on the phone with Insulet ALL the time and even considered breaking warranty. We started keeping a detailed log of the errors and lot numbers, which at the time were not under recall, but some of them later were recalled. Customer service ultimately put us in touch with someone more senior, who called us periodically to see how things were developing. They also sent out a trainer to retrain us, but that did not solve the problem.

And then, the problems pretty much stopped over night. It's been at least two years, maybe more, and we're now averaging a pod alarm maybe once every three months.

I'm really sorry you're going through this now! I don't have a lot of advice beyond staying on top of Insulet and perhaps asking to be escalated to a higher level person who can look at the big picture, and also keeping your own records of what's happening. Please keep us posted about what you hear from Insulet because it worries me a little to hear about these problems that I thought they had fixed resurfacing.

15. Brhodes

Brhodes Approved members

We've only had a handful of failures over our 2 years, but 3 of them happened due to static electricity. Once at a trampoline park and twice going down plastic playground slides. If you have a build-up of static in clothes, furniture or a blanket, it might cause failures.