- advertisement -

New School Fears - vent

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mom2Kathy, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Mom2Kathy

Mom2Kathy Approved members

This is the time of year I hate the most - starting school. I stress over it every year. It makes me really hate this disease - and thinking of all the other parents who can just drop their kids off without a care or worry in the world.

Kathy is starting 6th grade on August 22nd - middle school, ugh - and we have a meeting set up for next Tuesday. Naturally, they have never had a T1 student before. I just worry - worry that they will not understand, worry that they won't work with us, worry that they won't say the right things...I can't help it. I just WORRY.

I know a lot of us go through the same thing with school - some have no issues and some have lots of issues. Last year we had a perfect school so I was completely comfortable leaving here there, I knew she was in good hands. I want that feeling again.

Thanks for letting me vent. :eek:

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

That is completely understandable. In my Back To School thread there is a link to a guide for school personnel. Maybe using it might make you feel a little better about the new school? Just a thought.

3. madde

madde Approved members

I'm going through the same thing. I am worried sick too. Madison is starting 6th grade also, a new school, new teachers, new principal. I have a 504 meeting scheduled next week too.

I guess I'll have to do what I have done for the past 7 years is just take one day at a time and remember to breathe!

I hope everything goes smoothly for you and your daughter at her new school. It is very stressful for us parents and our cwd to transition to a new environment. :cwds:

Let us know how your meeting goes....

4. mommabear

mommabear Approved members

All the worry's just stink sometimes:cwds:..I hope all goes well for you guys..:cwds:

5. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Totally understandable. Wishing that all goes well.:cwds:

We have one more year with the same teachers, so I don't have to explain things for the coming school year. School here is divided into 2year cycles (ex. 1st and 2nd grades are part of Cycle 2) and the kids have the same teachers for each cycle usually. Phew!

6. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

I have a lot of anxiety leading up to the 504 meeting & through the first week of school, mainly due to the battles we had our first year. She started middle school last year (6h grade) & I was a nervous wreck, but pleasantly surprised at how totally different the process was. We had a few issues (& will be addressing those again this year) but for the most part, the entire staff was much easier to work with, despite the fact they've never had a self-managed pumper in the school before. I got the impression they were relieved, because they have so little to do with her care. They were certainly agreeable to everything we asked for, including the much-despised & banned-from-schools cell phone.:cwds:

Even though we're dealing with the same staff/same school again this year, I still feel anxious. I think it goes with being the parent of a CWD & never knowing what to expect.

Best of luck. I hope it's a great year for you both!

7. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

OMG I am right there with you. Lia is also starting middle school/6th grade.

I met with the counselor at the end of last year and went over some stuff. We are just changing a few things in her 504 as she will be doing much more on her own now. I'm just worried about how that will go and the normal middle school stuff. And dealing with an earlier school release and child care etc, but that's not really D related, just working parent related.

They are currently doing an upgrade to our main software here at work so we really can't work. I'm currently going through the 504 and making changes to the accommodations.

(((HUGS))). Every year about this time I feel my nerves increasing. It hasn't been too bad the last couple as had elementary school down for the most part. But this is a whole new ball game!

ETA-I have a good feeling about the middle school staff. Even when I butted heads with the elementary school staff (i.e. the principal) I never felt she was unsafe. And we're a small district so she will know a few people already. But still. It's different and we won't have the awesome school secretaries from elementary school who were like mom stand ins for me. Sob.

8. Mom2Kathy

Mom2Kathy Approved members

Thanks everyone. I knew you all could relate! I have everything ready, her Plan is written up, hypo/hyper guide and an ADA form I found that is directed at school teachers. I think it's enough - I don't want to overwhelm them with too much and scare them. I guess that's the fine line with T1: it is very serious but it can easily look like something that they won't be able to handle. Kathy is very self-sufficient and on a pump, so there is not much they will really have to do for her other than the typical "allowances" she will need (testing wherever she wants, cell phone, etc).

One good thing is that if I get the school on board and feel really comfortable I won't have to worry about it much for the next three years. Her middle school is private and the same three teachers teach 6th, 7th and 8th grade. So unless a teacher leaves, they will all know Kathy very well and it shouldn't be too much work after this year.

Liasmommy - I'm with you: middle school is so different and I also have to deal with before/after care, etc. It's not like we have enough to worry about the T1 thing, we also have to learn the in's and out's of a whole new school and way of things. I hope we can all get through it with our sanity!