- advertisement -

New Reseach- linking Diabetes and Birth Defects

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by phil413, Jul 30, 2008.

1. phil413

phil413 Approved members

2. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

this one part sums it up for me:
    So neither of these scenarios point to type 1 diabetes. The first, as they say, is gestational. The 2nd can only be attributed to type2. Undiagnosed, and presumably with high blood sugars for a very long period of time, cause all the chaos in their bodies that we know high blood sugars can.
    That speaks for itself.

I don't think there is any need to worry about birth defects in well controlled type 1 diabetics with a good history of low a1c's. The studies have all shown this.

3. Lee

Lee Approved members

Agreed...I heard this on the news today - I am waiting to actually read the study itself, not the press' take on the study! Being the mom of aT1 girl, it IS hard to hear.

4. phil413

phil413 Approved members

If you read it again you will see that the group you mentioned that had a pregnancy-induced condition called gestational diabetes or had diabetes that had gone undiagnosed until they were pregnant, did not have an increase in birth defects.

It was the group that said "Yes, I had diabetes before I was pregnant." that showed the increase.

I am also anxious to read the study...but makes it sound like high sugar levels weren't necessarily the only contributing factor.

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

If it makes you feel any better, I honestly believe that by the time your daughter is having babies that the technology will be so advanced that maintaining close to "normal" blood sugars will be much easier than it is now for type 1 diabetics. :)

6. T1Spouse&Proud

T1Spouse&Proud Approved members

I find this whole new "break" to be stupid and up setting, just another stereo type cast on "diabetics", this whole thing relates to unknown type 2 and gestational. As you all know Type 1s are just as healthy and normal as non type 1s. Their body is no different in the way it creates life and sustains it. Type 1s just add insulin manually. My son is was 3 weeks early ( I blame it on the curry from the night before), needed no oxygen, had no problems, and we were home in a few days like everyone else. Worst part is this is on almost every news channel. Now we can add "is your daughter able to have a normal child?"

Sorry endrant/

frizzyrazzy likes this.
  7. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

Well said.

8. catgalla

catgalla Approved members

That's funny. I've been type 1 diabetic for over 16 years now and have given birth to 2 beautiful healthy children with NO birth defects. The only issue is my son now has t1 but it's not guaranteed that your siblings will have diabetes.

9. mamalynn

mamalynn Approved members

My MIL is T1 and has been for 50 years. She had 3 healthy pregnancies (over 40 years ago), and that was before all the advances in diabetes care that our children have today.

10. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

I kind of just skimmed the article but I didn't see anything about how the mothers blood sugars were during the pregnancy. I would assume that would have A LOT to do with how well the pregnancy went. I assume that the mothers giving birth to the babies with birth defects were not managing their diabetes well. If you manage your diabetes well during the pregnancy, why would the fetus be affected? Just MYHO...:D

11. T1Spouse&Proud

T1Spouse&Proud Approved members