- advertisement -

New pumper

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Brady'sMoma11, Jul 17, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Brady'sMoma11

Brady'sMoma11 Approved members

My son is about to start pumping July 27 with the Animas Ping. This is a good two weeks before he starts middle school. I hope that this is enough time to work out any kinks that can occur. I was wondering if anyone had any advice or anything I should have a heads up about during those two weeks.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  2. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

I think that you will have plenty of time to adjust.

Test frequently. Stay in touch with your endo for changes to the basal program. Try and do a few basal tests if you can. Basal testing begins about 4 hours after the last bolus and requires no carb/boluses for a 4 to 6 hour period thereafter. Overnight is easy. Morning is easy if you let your son have a late night snack and then sleep in (skip breakfast). Mid-day and early evening tests are the hardest to do :( because kids get hungry. You can let him have "free foods" during the testing time but I still try to limit them as well.

During the Basal test time - you will want to check every 1 or 2 hours to make sure BG is staying level. You should not have a swing of more than 30 points during the no carb/no bolus time period.

Here's an article than explains it in more detail:
    http://www.diabeteshealth.com/read/2001/04/01/2199/fine-tuning-your-basal-and-bolus-rates/

3. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

We just starting pumping with a ping and our first week was a little rough as we tried to find the right balance between basals and carb ratios. Now that we have worked out the kinks, I love the ping and my daughter's numbers are in range much more of the time now.