- advertisement -

New pump?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ashley_lynden, Jul 30, 2014.

1. ashley_lynden

ashley_lynden Approved members

I got a call (missed it) and e-mail yesterday that Sloan's pump is now expired. He's had it replaced 3 times. I'm worried now that if something happens he will be stuck without a pump for a month or more. I would love to get a new pump (change companies more than likely) but I don't think we can. Does anyone if KY CHIP insurance follows the every 4 year deal like most insurance companies do? I know when he was on BCBS they would pay for a new pump every 4 years.

When he switched to CHIP and were setting everything up with the durable medical company they asked when we got his pump. When I told them they said they would pay for one every 5 years. Do you think maybe they just told me wrong?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  2. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I recently found out that out insurance (blue cross of "our state") only pays for a pump every five years....so we basically will have to go a whole year out of warranty. :( we have had it over three years with no major problems so far, so I'm hoping it will last the whole five years....because it will be back to mdi for us if it doesn't. Which will be awful for a 13/14 year old boy who is accustomed to the ease and freedom of pumping. This is the same company that rejected paying for cgm because it wasn't medically necessary. (We could have pushed for it but chose not to....long story)

So yes...there are still companies out there still stuck in old ways....

3. ashley_lynden

ashley_lynden Approved members

I guess it's just kind of odd to me because they didn't pay for the first one and it's not like we are gettting a new pump every other year. I'm just so afraid of something happening to it while it's out of warranty. Sloan hates shots.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Have you asked your endo to write a prescription for the pump you would like to have now that your current pump is out of warranty? That's where I would start. Have the endo submit the paperwork and see what happens.

5. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

I recently put in paperwork to get a new pump since my son's is out of warranty. We have had it for a little over 4 years.

I was a little surprised when the provider called today and let me know that insurance will not cover a new pump just because it is out of warranty. You have to be experiencing problems with it. That caught me a little off guard. I just assumed that after 4 years they would replace it.

6. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

This is when you inspect for cracks, etc. that could affect performance:)

7. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

This makes me really glad that we have the pod through cut-the-cord as back-up. They obviously don't care about the difference in insulin needs between MDI and pumping. I will also have my daughter pump-shop in advance so that she already knows what she will want to order before a failure happens.