- advertisement -

New primary care

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ChocolateLover, Aug 31, 2013.

1. ChocolateLover

ChocolateLover Approved members

We have a new primary care who specializes in type 2 care (family med doc.)
    He has Rx Lisinopril for our teen (with T1 and hypo-thyroid) who is probably at his top height (6'3")

My son has normal BP readings. He also had normal retinal exams last two years.

I checked CWD standards of care page and unless the morning fog made me miss it...

Thanks for your time.

2. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

Sometimes lisinopril is prescribed due to protein in the urine, which tends to happen with diabetes.

There are also some doctors who prescribe lisinopril, especially in adolescents and adulthood with diabetes, as a protective factor for the kidneys; even though the BP and with absence of protein, a low dose usually 5mg is prescribed.

3. ChocolateLover

This was new patient appt with no labs and no forwarding results from old doc.

He put him on lowest 5 mg but with no labs it just took me by surprise.

4. Momontherun

Momontherun Approved members

After starting lisinopril, often providers check in 4 weeks a potassium and kidney function to make sure they don't show an elevation.

5. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I would have questioned the Dr. about that and made sure I felt comfortable about the reasons they gave for doing it. It's still not too late to do that. Good luck.

6. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

Many drs will automatically prescribe Lisinopril or similar for T2s, to help prevent kidney damage. I would question the need for it.

7. Mish

Mish Approved members

Does your son see an endo as well? I would certainly run it by him/her first.

8. ChocolateLover

We are waiting for authoriation for speciality appt.

I am going to contact his old endo before I give any medication. We did his annual full panel blood work before the move.

I was just checking in her to see if protocal has changed.

9. Mish

Mish Approved members

I think that's very wise. I can't find a whole lot of recent info saying that it's commonly prescribed for type 1s, and nothing showing that it's routine for type 1 teens without any reason. Especially not without blood work.

When you do talk to the endo, could you let us know? I'm curious.

10. lizzie

lizzie Approved members

My endocrinologist prescribes a low dose of lisinopril to all his adult type 1's to protect the kidneys.

11. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

ramipril aka altace is more the norm in Canada. I think there is more evidence to back up the use of ramipril

12. Mwills27

Mwills27 Approved members

My son is also on Lisinopril as a protective measure against loss of Kidney function. My son's kidney function is normal but my son was born with only one kidney.

His Nephrologist said it's becoming more common-place to give ACE inhibitors to CWD as a protective agent even without any signs or symptoms related to kidney disease. He said there's been a lot of study on the subject in recent years and it shows this can prevent some amount of kidney loss in Adulthood for those children who start taking it now.