- advertisement -

New pod user.... Lots of questions

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Pjtmg, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Pjtmg

Pjtmg Approved members

We are brand new to the pump.... Started Monday! Last night we did the first site change at 7:30 pm. When I did a midnight check, dd was so high it would not give ne a number. Ketones were .2 on the blood meter. I bolused her for a 500 blood sugar number... That was the highest the meter would go. Got back up at 1:30... She sill read high but ketones were gone so I knew some insulin worked. 3:00 am check she was 340 so we bolused her again. At 6:30 am she was 134.

So my question is...people talk about highs after site change.... Are they this high? Her ratios us 1:25. I had her drink a danimal at site change so I could bolus something through.

Any advice would be great?...

Ps... She is 6 1/2 years old.

2. maciasfamily

maciasfamily Approved members

It's normal for highs (not necessarily HIGH on the meter) because the dr tends to run you higher when first starting to pump. Definitely sounds like basals need to be changed, not so much ratios.

Our thing was, if ratios were fine before we starting pumping, then it's the basal that needs to be adjusted. For us, we only make changes based on a 3 day pattern. If 3 days in a row are high/low, we then make changes based on 2 hrs before the high/low is up to the high/low.

I would definitely be checking a lot more than usual during this time. We had to check every 2 hrs and then midnight and 3 am. If you're noticing more highs at night, then frequent night checking can help catch some of these highs.

Keep in contact with your Endo with your numbers and they can help you as well during this time.

Hang in there! It does get a lot easier!

3. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

We were constantly chasing highs for the first couple days until we did the basal testing. For my son they just took the mdi basal amount and devided it by 24 so it had the same basal all day. After doing the basal testing we figured out he needed 2-3x the amount of basal in the morning than he did for the rest of the day, etc. That's the benefit of the pump. You can set it to suit your childs needs. We did need to change his I:C ratios though but we did that after we got the basal figured out.

4. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

It sounds like you handled it well. Our DD was almost 6 when she started pumping. We try to check BG about 3 hours after a pod change and have seen highs in the high 200s and low 300s. We also found that her basal rates needed to go up at bedtime, then come down after midnight. So it might be a combination of the pod change and the need to adjust the basal rate.

FYI-recognizing your experience might be different, we bolus at pod change without any carbs. We got to the amount we bolus slowly, starting with a very small bolus to cover the .05 u of basal that we missed during a pod change and gradually increased it quite a bit (we bolus about 1.25 u). I never would have believed that that would be necessary, but it works for us.

5. MyHandsAreFulll

MyHandsAreFulll Approved members

We also have a post pod change high and bolus .15 (no carbs) at pod changes. If you are new to pumping, your basal and I:C ratios will probably be changing a few times over the next couple weeks. We have been on the Omnipod for 6 months now and are very happy with it. Takes some time to get the basals, ratios, and sensitivity tweeked.

6. Teacups

Teacups Approved members

Sounds like you're doing the right things... our first pod experience at the CDE was full of highs. She finally determined it was a bad site. Not what we wanted to hear on the first try w/ insulin, but we were glad it happened while we were with her. It was a Friday afternoon and she wouldn't let us leave till we saw better numbers. She stayed till 6:00 that night!

Anyway, we do have highs w/ pod changes. We like to change at lunch or afternoon snack for that reason. Gives us plenty of time to make adjustments. Ds13 doesn't have a set pod change bolus, just kinda bases it on the day, the food, the numbers. But at 13, with hormones and the like, things are always changing!!!

Just hang in there. You'll get the numbers set before too long!

7. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

My daughter started the pod at age 8 and has been using it for 6 years. In our experience BG may go high, go low, or remain even after a pod change and I haven't seen anything that indicates that it is related to the pod change (in other words, BG will go high, low, or remain even even without a pod change). As long as you don't have any downtime inbetween pod changes and there is no lost basal, then there's no reason it should go high or low just because of the change.