- advertisement -

New Orleans area meetup/support group

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by nataliemca, Apr 19, 2010.

1. nataliemca

nataliemca Approved members

Hey all!

My name is Natalie. I am beginning a "meet group/or play group" (or the like) for diabetic children in the New Orleans area. I have just started the process of speaking with a director at JDRF of Louisiana to make it an official thing. I believe that it is important for children with diabetes to connect, be friends and support each other, especially when they are young; knowing that there are others out there just like them.

My daughter, Riley, is currently 5 years old. She was diagnosed when she was 2 and still, to this day, has never met another child that has diabetes. She always feels like "the only child in class" or "different", and people are always doubting her abilities, even though I, as a parent, know that she is just like any other kid! As she grows older, and other children like her grow up, a supporting friendship with other kids with diabetes would be a great factor in there success in health and in life. I know, through message forums online, that there are other children from around the country that are the same way. I would love the opportunity to begin this process of developing this group (afternoon at the park, zoo gatherings, painting, maybe even a fun way to teach the kids nutrition and healthy eating, etc!).
    Please message me with your email address if you are in the area and would like to be notified when things get rolling soon. Please pass this along to anyone you know also that would like to join. Thanks!

email: nturlich@gmail.com

Be on the look out because I will be setting up facebook and meetup.com pages soon..... be sure to join!