- advertisement -

New OmniPod PDM Wakeup Screen

Discussion in 'Insulin Pumps' started by DadCares, Jun 20, 2013.

1. DadCares

DadCares Approved members

We have started using the new OmniPod PDM and smaller pods this week. Every time you turn on the PDM, you have to acknowledge the initial wakeup screen that displays your name. Is there a way to disable the wakeup screen so that it goes straight to the main menu?

2. Agswin04

Agswin04 Approved members

Nope..its one of the "safety" features built in.

The funny thing to me, is "confirm" will randomly move from the left button to the middle...thought it was just my eyes playing tricks on me. I think the point is to make people READ instead of just pushing buttons like the old one. Kind of annoying, but hey I'll take it since the new pods are so awesome

3. swellman

swellman Approved members

Not to my knowledge. To be honest, I think it's a good idea. I think it has it's place particularity in places like a diabetes camp. I mean, it's one button push.

4. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

My kiddo loves it because you can customize the colors and the name. Hey it's the little things that make her happy.

5. Don

Don Approved members

A sensible idea that should be optional.

6. DadCares

DadCares Approved members

My thoughts as well. Out of the 800-900 kids at school, she is the only one with type 1 so the odds have remained really good :) that no one else from school would get it mixed up. So the screen is a nuisance... albeit minor. I could definitely see this being a good feature if at diabetes camp :).

Unrelated to my topic, for pod changes, our initial impression is that the "prime" bolus after a pod change will be dramatically lower than on the old pods. We were at 0.75 bolus on pod changes before and it appears we've needed much less based on our first 2 pod changes (somewhere between 0 and 0.20). But this is a very premature impression after only 2 pod changes.

7. swellman

Perhaps it's the FDA doing their job and they were addressing some real life issues where the PDMs were mixed up. I'm just speculating, of course, but I can't imagine that Insulet did it all on their own. In any event if the FDA thought it necessary I doubt they would consider it reasonable to be optional. I'm not arguing that it's not a real, first-world problem to have to hit one button to confirm the device that could, realistically, kill your child is, in fact, the device that is programmed to deliver the insulin that could easily be dangerous. I bet nurses get really aggravated at all the safety features in all those hospital devices.

8. Don

Don Approved members

I agree the FDA is likely the reason. Should be optional. Families with multiple podders and kids at T1 camps can enable it. PWD's who are the only podders in their immediate family and work circles can disable it. That extra button press seems like nothing but add it up over 4 years. To me it symbolizes that the FDA (and Insulet) don't "get" living with diabetes.

9. caspi

caspi Approved members

Really? They don't get living with diabetes because of one extra button we have to push? :confused: I honestly have to wonder what people that have lived with D for decades think about this complaint - the people that used to have to use a glass syringe for their insulin and test tubes to test their blood sugar. I guess some people just need something to complain about. :(

10. Don

Don Approved members

I suppose your right. To me it is a bit like Apple vs Android difference. We all differ on how much we like to be told what is right for us!

11. swellman

...but it really, really adds up over 4 years ...

#Firstworldproblems

12. maddiesdad

maddiesdad Approved members

New PDM

One of the things my daughter hates the most about the omnipod ( and she's had it several years now ) is the clicking noise the buttons on the PDM make. It's like nails on a chalkboard to her.

Is this PDM different in terms of the noice the buttons make?

13. redheadmom

redheadmom Approved members

I just checked my pdm. Yes, the buttons do make a clicking sound. But I never even realized it until now!

14. milliesmum

milliesmum New Member

UK needs advice on Omnipod please

Hello, just joined the forum as looking for guidance on omnipod.

My 11 year old daughter (diagnosed type 1 Nov 2011) received her omnipod last Tuesday, 6 days ago. Prior to this she was injecting 4 times a day.

Her control over her BG was excellent but now her numbers are running really high, averaging 15 but spiked at 27. (keytones 0.1) Can you tell me is this normal when moving to a pump?

Pumps are not widely available in the UK, around 12% of Type 1 diabetic population most people inject. The Omnipod is also very new in the UK, there are 400 children in our area diagnosed but she is only 1 using a pod. Having researched what was available we liked the 'tube free' part of the omnipod.

In the 6 days she has been using, one pod came off in the shower, and one had an occulsion so she is on her 4th pod.

The freedom the pod has offerred is fantastic - but I am struggling both with her high BG numbers and giving up control - with an injection you know exactly what insulin has been injected and when.

Having holidayed in America just 2 weeks after she was diagnosed I know how far in front treatments are in the US so I'm looking for some advice and guidance please.

Thank you so much for taking time to read this.

15. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

It is very normal to have higher/lower numbers than on shots until you get all the basal rates and ratios worked out. Your diabetic team should be able to help you look at the numbers and make adjustments. It can take a few weeks.

We did loose quite a few more pods in the beginning than we do now. I think it took a while for her to get used to having them on and kind of adjust herself so she wasn't knocking them off. If you're having trouble with showers maybe some extra tape or wrap might help.

16. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

My daughter ran high at pump start. Is your Diabetes Nurse/doctor used to adjusting pumps or do you have to do it yourself? I relied on our nurse for the first couple of weeks and then began to gain confidence. We kept it simple by starting with one basal around the clock and then adding more in as we observed the need.

I like being able to look at the records on the PDM to see how much basal she got when, when boluses were done, etc. I don't like the Insulin On Board calcalation; I don't find it to be as accurate as the Medtronic pump. I find myself stretching meals/snacks to have IOB worn off more often.

If you feel like you need/want help tweaking, people here are generally willing to pitch in with their thoughts, but I would post on the Parents of Children section since it gets the most attention.

17. GeorgevdLey

GeorgevdLey New Member

recommendation

Hello, i am using also a omnipod and i changed mij name into a question, (measure now) only the ? is not availabel. It reads better even when you are shaking from a hypo...:eek: try it , it works. I hope you understand it, Sorry for my Dutch-School-English.:)