- advertisement -

New mom of T1 kid.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by bel, Jan 21, 2011.

1. bel

bel Approved members

Hi, I'm Bel. I found this forum googling things about pumps. I have 3 kids. lena is 6 next month and will be diagnosed T1 for a year on the 29th of this month. Sephie is almost 4 and Atticus is 4 months.

We are currently using Humalog in a pen and Lantus in hypodermics and an Accucheck Aviva meter (which I hate). We have had Hawk-i insurance (kids insurance in the state of Iowa), but are using Tricare now.

I attended a pre-pump class at the hospital yesterday (We go to University of Iowa Children's hospital for our care) and I am trying to choose the best pump for us. I have to pick quick as we are moving to NY in March!

At first I thought we would definitely go for the pod. I worried about the tubing getting caught of door handles and what not. Then, I decided it would probably irritate her too much. I started to think the Minimed would be the best for us. But after going to the class and hearing about the more technical stuff (like how the MM only releases insulin 4 times an hour), I decided the Ping was probably for us. Well, today Lena wore a pod demo to school and is still wearing it in bed. I thought for sure it would come off within an hour or so, but she says she likes it. Earlier she was having a full on semi playful wrestling match with her sister and I started to think about what might occur if she had a pump with a tube. So now I don't know. Maybe the Pod is the one for us? After their fight her Pod is still attached. I wish it came in different colors as I think she would really enjoy that feature of the Ping!

Also wondering if we should go to the Joslin center in Syracuse or drive twice as far to Rochester to see the endo our current endo specifically recommended. So if anyone has experience with those, feedback would be awesome!

2. StageMom

StageMom Approved members

Welcome. I'm too new to comment on any of the pump things. We're just three months into this, and just started on novopen, jr., and solostar. I think the pump is way down the road for us. I'm sure someone here will be able to help give you the advice you seek.

3. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

I think it all depends on what you are looking for.
    We did think the omnipod would be best for our son, but when he tried a sample pod, he hated it. Also, from what I understand, when the three days is up, it is up. Done, you have to change pods right then. (I'm sure you get plenty of warning). We needed to have more control over things than that. Sometimes DS wears his infusion set for four days instead of three, just depends on how things are going in our lives at the time.

For us the Ping remote was a necessity - it's so much easier to bolus him from a distance than have him pull out his pump every time. Of course, the pod also has a remote, but if you leave it at home, you can't bolus. With the ping, you can use the pump t bolus if you forget to take the remote with you.

Just how things worked for us - there are a lot of podders on here who wouldn't give up their omnipods for anything :)
    We do have to change the cartridge on the ping pretty often, since it only holds 200 units. I don't know how many the pod holds. I know minimed holds 300 units.

I thought the tubing would be a big problem for us, but he did get used to it and now doesn't seem to think anything about it. It's just part of him. If he wants to play rough, he suspends the pump and takes it off, so the tubing won't get caught on anything.

Welcome to the boards!

4. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Molly loves the Ping and the cartridge size (200) isn't really an issue because we often switch out the cartridge and infusion set at different times. If you find a good method for securing the tubing so it doesn't get pulled, it's not a problem. In 4 months, I think she's pulled it out 2 times by accident.

It's funny, but after agonizing over the pump decision, we've found that the type of infusion set has been more of a success factor than anything for us. My only reservation about the omnipod was that it's a pump and an infusion set wrapped up in one. We've had so many glitches with infusion sets that I'm glad we just have to switch out the little gizmo than give up on an entire pod. That's just my take on it. What ever you decide, I'm sure you're going to love the pump after you get through the adjustment period.

5. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

Hi and welcome to our "unfortunate" group. You'll find a wealth of info from the participants of this forum.

Regarding the pump, we looked at all 3 major players but my son was sold on the Omnipod because it has no tubing. He loves the pod and has had only 5 failures since he started last November. Omnipod will usually replace the failures unless it's an occlusion or it fails close to the time it is due to expire. Depending on who you speak with, they will replace even those failures.

The subject of pods has been very active over the past month or so. Some folks go through a year or more without a single failure while some will have multiple failures in a row. It could be a problem with their shipment or lot number. I would highly suggest that before you make your decision, do a search on this forum for Omnipod and read some of the posts relating to the subject. Personally we have been very happy with the pod. It has only come loose one time and that was when Jeremy somehow caught it on a door handle. Insulet has replaced all of our failures so far. It can be frustrating when it fails but when it works, it gives you new-found freedom.

Good luck in your decision making.

6. lisahackman

lisahackman Approved members

Hi and welcome - it is so hard to decide what will be the best fit for your child and family! Alexa resisted the pump because she tried a site at camp 6 months into dx and it really hurt her. She finally met a girl who was a little older than her who had the pod and was the same body type and wore her pod on her arm. She was convinced at that point the pod was for her. She still wasn't ready to give it a go for another 9 months - until she was up to 7-9 injections a day due to wanting to eat all the time!

The pod has been the right choice for her. It does what she wants, doesn't come off easily, lets her swim and shower without disconnecting and mostly doesn't have tubing. She is so used to having it on, she even accidentally had 2 pods on a few weeks ago because she forgot to remove it after disconnecting.

The other thing she likes about OmniPod, is that she said she never feels the bolus, while some of her friends on other pumps can sometimes feel the "sting" of a large bolus for food or correction. That is just her experience and feelings.

She is 12 and going through puberty (she is over 5'8" already) so keeping up with diabetes is a challenge but she still feels really good about her choice. Last A1C was 6.4 but it came with a lot of hard work and night checks on my end.

Good luck with your decision - what ever it turns out to be, I'm sure it will be right for you!

7. redheadmom

redheadmom Approved members

Just my opinion: the Joslin center in Syracuse is large and impersonal and takes a very long time to get an appointment. I have a great endo in Syracuse that I've been seeing for about a year now. His name is David Dicesar. Although he's not a pediatric endo, I think he'd be great with children. He is highly personable, and he has called me numerous times on the phone to personally answer questions or concerns that I have had. His nurses are also friendly and helpful. They were great when I had to fight my insurance company for coverage of my Dexcom continuous monitor. He has always been willing to try things that I've suggested as far as my diabetes treatment, too. You can PM me if you have specific questions about him or about the Syracuse area.

8. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

One thing I would seriously consider if your move is going to cause your insurance coverage to change, is that some state medical programs are still giving people a difficult time about covering pods. Also a traditional pump costs more up front then the supplies are cheaper. Omnipod is less expensive at start up but the monthly cost of pods is higher. Just something to consider if your insurance situation is going to change.

9. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

I just wanted to welcome you. I live just outside Des Moines. My son has been on the Animas Ping for a few years and loves it. I really dont think you can go wrong with any pump you pick.

10. lakevictoria

lakevictoria Approved members

Don't be afraid to request insulin trials! This is too big of a decision to make with a long 4-5 yr commitment. We're trialing the pod and mm currently. We'll have to make up our mind by the end of the week. It's a tough decision considering these 2 pumps are completely different in many ways! But at least it gives your child options as well. Good luck!

11. mandapanda1980

mandapanda1980 Approved members

Welcome! :)

I joined this site in Oct and can honestly say its changed the way we manage Alli's diabetes and our way of thinking. It is a very supportive and welcoming and often times humoring place to be a member. I'm completely addicted and I am here all the time :)

As fr the pumps, we chose the mm revel. My daughter is 5 and it works great for us. Sometimes I wish I had the remote option, but we are very happy with our pump. We use sure t infusion sets and those also work great for us. Less site failures due to the bent cannulas.

I am always welcome to making friends, feel welcome to pm me anytime :)

Good luck!

12. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

13. bel

bel Approved members

Thank you so much for all the responses. I had the reps come on Monday and we decided to go with the Ping as I thought we would. She flipped out a little after she tried a site and was saying she didn't want to get a pump any more. I was expecting that. She doesn't deal well with change. But she is just too willful about when and what she wants to eat I had to be honest and tell her she didn't have much say in the matter. I think after a week or 2 she will see how much better it is. She claimed it hurt, but I think it was just the difference in sensation compared to the shots.

Anyway, hopefully next week we can do out saline trial and the following week hopefully we'll get into the hospital. Unfortunately the appointment they have that week is on her birthday!

14. PixieStix

PixieStix Approved members

Hi Bel, just wanted to welcome you to CWD! I am glad to hear your daughter is moving towards a pump, hopefully will make things easier & would be she will adapt in a very short time to the site insertions/wear of the pump. Lots of experience here on the boards, so hopefully you will keep coming back. Noticed you mentioned moving to upstate NY--I was born & grew up in a little town outside of Utica.

15. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

A few tips since your DD is resistant to change and not sure about wanting the pump.

1. Request a sterile water trial instead of saline. They can do it. My son did it. Saline is known to sting. (I didn't know that at the time of his trial - he was just afraid it would sting)

2. Put the bolus on SLOW instead of NORMAL. Can be done in the setup during class.

3. If bolusing does bother her, do all her boluses as a combo over .1 hr (six minutes) for the first while. Took my son about a month to get used to the bolus and now there is no problem bolusing larger amounts all at once.

4. If she is sensitive to touch, don't turn on the vibration feature. It's used when you bolus from the remote. Our class CDE told us to turn it on. I refused. I knew it would freak DS out to have that vibration before/during a bolus.

5. Before putting on an infusion set, put a frozen spoon on the area you will insert in. I've read here it helps.

6. I just picked this one up myself :cwds: if you use insets, when you remove the inserter, pull it out by the white center section. Can't believe our CDE didn't teach us that! It comes out smoother and easier than if you pull it out by the outside round section.

Hope those help with her pumping transition :)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  16. angelove324

angelove324 Approved members

Infant dx 2 weeks ago with type 1

Hi,
    i am new to this website, i found it in one of the books i was reading for different resources. not really sure how to get around on here yet. my 10 month old son was dx 2 weeks ago with type 1. he is the first in the family to ever have it. this was all very stocking, stressful and overwhelming. i am still very mad at the fact this has happened and i have not accepted it yet. i'm so glad i found this website and i bleieve it will be more great support talking with others who are in the same boat as me.