- advertisement -

New meter to link with MM pumps

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by L101418, Sep 4, 2012.

1. L101418

L101418 Approved members

2. momof2marchboys

momof2marchboys Approved members

I find it interesting that Medtronics is going with a Bayer meter for their pumps. Now I need to contact our insurance company as when I contacted them about pump options Medtronics was a preferred company but on the other side Bayer strips are not covered by our insurance and we have to use the OneTouch Blue strips or pay a ton for $$ for strips if we don't use the OneTouch strips.
    I hate that the insurance companies can dictate what we can and can not use for our children.

3. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Well, it can't be any worse than the Ultra Link.

I doubt we'll switch, but it's good to have a decent option.

5. L101418

L101418 Approved members

Now that I read this I think this is the case for us too. Yeesh.

6. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

You probably can get an override because its the strips your pump needs. Eventually insurances will catch up with this because they'll be plenty of people that are looking for overrides.

7. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

The contour link uses the same strips as the regular contour, have been using one for nearly 2 years, Medtronic has been using contour in Canada for a long time

8. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

It appears that the U.S. version uses different strips that are "more accurate."

9. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

I think it would be cool if the meters would "talk" to each other, too, in addition to the pump. So if you had two meters for one kid (school and home), if the meters were within like 20 feet or something of each other, they'd sync with each other.

10. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

Thanks to Connie a couple of years ago, I have been using a contour link with my pump for a long while now, it works great and I find the numbers that I get with it to be comparable to my one touch readings.

Dont know about the new Contour, but I am hopefully getting a new pump, so I guess I will get one of these.

11. Izzi

Izzi Approved members

When I got my revel in Aug. My rep said the reason they switched was because Lifescan mkes Amnius (sp???) Pumps and one touch meters

12. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members

We did a News Flash on this Sept. 5 over at DiabetesMine.

This new, USB-styled meter is called the Contour Next Link and it is different than the other Contour meters that have been available, such as the other MM-linking one. These will use the Contour Next strips that were just approved by the FDA earlier this year. The strips/meter are supposed to be more accurate.

13. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

I saw the strips today at Walgreen's they are cheaper per 50 or 100 than a box of the regular contour strips are. I am waiting for the doctor to send all the stuff back on the pump, then I guess I will see what is up.

14. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

I was pleased to hear that this was finally coming out, even more so when I got the notice from UPS that it was actually shipped (when I called MM, last month they said not till January).

But all my happiness has evaporated now that I'm trying to get strips for it. UHC has them at Tier 3 ($90 per month, vs. $20 for One Touch).

It seems to me that if UHC will pay for a MM pump, they ought to put the strips for the included meter at Tier 1.

Anyone have any encouraging info that UHC or Cigna are going to "prefer" these new strips eventually?

15. 22jules

22jules Approved members

I can't help with the insurance but in the box is a discount card from bayer to cap your co-pay at $15 a month that is good for the whole year. If you didn't get this you should contact bayer for one. Hopefully insurances will catch up by then and start covering the strips at a lower copay. HTH

16. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

We haven't gotten it yet (UPS says tomorrow), but I'm aware of the CountourChoice program. But unfortunately, that program has a cap of $35 / month. So if yo're paying a teir 3 co-pay, which in our case is $90 for a one month supply, you're still out of pocket $55 a month vs. $20 for teir 1.

The thought of continuing to use OneTouch with this new meter in the closet is just depressing.

Any OneTouch lovers out there interested in swapping strips?

17. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

Im not gonna switch, Im very happy with the ultra link. plus, we have three.... and all three talk to the pump. I also have lots of strips. So, not going to bother.

18. TysSis

TysSis Approved members

OneTouch has something similar with the UltraBlue strips too. I think it's a $5 copay until the end of 2013, but it's capped at $45. I found it on their facebook.

19. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

We just got our once-every-three-months delivery from Medtronic, and it did not include the meter! We do not get our test strips from them--do you think that is why they didn't send one out? I admit that I am a bit disappointed!

20. 22jules

22jules Approved members

They are shipping them out starting in January according to their website.