- advertisement -

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by rosie, Aug 4, 2010.

1. rosie

rosie Approved members

Hi,I am a mum to Daniel,a fifteen year old boy.He was diagnosed with type1 diabetes in January 2004. I have just discovered this forum and was interested in many of the comments made especially relating to the relationship between Coxsackie viruses and autoimmune response in turn leading to development of type 1 diabetes.I was interested to know how other parents find stability of blood sugars as sometimes I find my son is 'all over the place',finding teenage years quite challenging as Daniel becoming more independent and I don't have as much control over eating habits etc.I sometimes find clinic consultants are a bit complacent about erratic bms,blaming teen hormones,lifestyle etc and I worry about the long term effects of this.

2. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

Hi Rosie,

Welcome to CWD, I have a teenager as well. And I never noticed a specific flu or symptoms before being diagnosed. She was diagnosed at age 12 while we were on vacation. Since puberty hit, I can totally understand what your saying about those crazy BG numbers.
    Your endo is right that growth hormones can make insulin work less effective, so you may need more during growth spurts, and they also eat more...so it makes sense that more insulin is needed.

I did find a few books that helped me understand this disease better.
    "Think Like a Pancreas" and "Using Insulin". I had to order them online.

3. Lucky 868

Lucky 868 Approved members

Sheryl,

I love the book "Think Like a Pancreas" and would like to read the "Using Insulin" you recommended. I checked our library's site and couldn't find it. Can I get the author's name so I can search for it better?

Thanks!
    Cyndy

4. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

Kayla was sick prior to being dx with D. I am not sure with what tho, they had her on antibiotics for an infected lymph node.

5. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

Hi Rosie --

Welcome to CWD.

My DD did not have a flu in the weeks prior that I can remember. She did have Strep throat diagnosed at same time as T1, but the thirst and frequent urination started before the Strep, so I don't think it is a factor.

The teen years are very challenging. I am told it gets easier. :)

The books Cyndy recommended are excellent.

6. rosie

rosie Approved members

Thanks Sheryl,i'll definitely look up those books.It's so amazing and uncanny that there seems to be a high incidence of children being ill prior to diagnosis.I read a link today that said medics think that mums being sick in later trimester of pregnancy may affect their baby's pancreas(to do with autoimmune responses).I am asthmatic and when around 6 months pregnant acquired a severe chest infection,it does make you think.It's good to know other people can relate their experiences with blood glucose readings etc also.

7. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

Hmmmm..... I had no problems in the last trimester of pregnancy but had to have an appendectomy in the first trimester.

8. rosie

rosie Approved members

Thanks Patricia and Kayla for responding,it's good to talk with other mums living with diabetes and not feeling as if you're speaking a different language ha ha :D

9. rosie

rosie Approved members

Excellent HbA1c level!So well done,my son's is currently 8.8 ....high,hoping we'll get better,really glad your child doing so great ;D

10. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

Rosie,

I did have some type of infection the last trimester and was given liquid antibiotics during delivery. I know many here who were very healthy and still have a child with D. It is a mystery.

Using Insulin author is John Walsh
    Pumping with Insulin by John Walsh

Think like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner

Type 1 Diabetes by Ragnar Hanas

There is a forum discussing these books, my favorite was Think like a Pancreas, but I know those with younger kids like the Type 1 Diabetes

I didn't get it from the library, I ordered it online. It is very detailed and gives you more than the basics,

good luck!

11. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

Welcome, welcome, welcome! My D daughter is also 15.

I'm very interested in all the theories. I have twins - one has D, one does not.

12. Gilliansmom

Gilliansmom Approved members

Welcome to CWD. My dd, dx at age 12 had a very bad case of Fifth's Disease right before she was dx. It took about two weeks for the virus to go through her system and she got sick right after that. The endo said it triggered the D! This is a wonderful place for mom's to share and cry and heal and help each other on the D journey.

13. wilf

wilf Approved members

hey welcome aboard! :) Our DD is 14, has had D for 4 years. Doing ok with it, but it's a non-stop challenge.

What insulin regimen are you guys on?