- advertisement -

New Medtronic Canada deal - Feel majorly scammed by animas at the moment

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by C6H12O6, Oct 12, 2013.

1. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

The abstract says the Enlites were used with the Veo/530g and the Sof-Sensors were used with the Guardian.

2. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

"While you?re waiting to qualify for a pump through ADP and with the approval of your endocrinologist, you can certainly purchase the Dexcom G4 standalone unit as it is separate from the Animas One Touch Ping.

I?m happy to tell you, that Animas Canada has recently signed an agreement with Dexcom for this unit as it has been approved; however, we are finalizing the steps before it is made available for sale, and hoping it will be ready sometime this November. The list price of the Dexcom G4 CGM system is $1,840.00 and the breakdown is as follows: Receiver: $800, Transmitter: $700, and Sensor 4-Pack: $340 (approximately $12.14 per day).

If you have any private health insurance that may cover the cost of CGM sensors and equipment, we recommend that you speak with an employee benefits coordinator regarding coverage. We are also in the process of preparing a quote for our customers to submit to their insurance companies. Once we have news of when the Dexcom CGM standalone will be available for sale through Animas Canada, we will be notifying all who are interested via email or phone."

3. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

Thanks Alicia. Wow, is that ever expensive compared to the Medtronic starter pack special of $700 including 15 sensors we bought last March. It is my understanding that very few folks have private coverage for CGMS here in Canada and I wonder how many will actually go for this. DD is due for a new pump and we need to evaluate all the options, so thanks again.

4. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

I wonder if they will be charging that amount for vibe users - Receiver: $800, Transmitter: $700. that stuff is free now when you buy a veo

5. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Well you don't need to buy the receiver when you have the Vibe though it will transmit to both at once.

6. Dad_in_Canada

Dad_in_Canada Approved members

From what I've read on this message board, I think the Dexcom transmitter has an "official" lifespan of about 6 months (though some people are reporting longer). Once the transmitter has died, you need to replace it, at a cost of what looks like $700, regardless if you're using the standalone system or the Vibe. Both the sensors and transmitter are "consumables".

The receiver (the hand-held unit) cost is I think to be the only savings with using the Vibe compared with a stand-alone system.