- advertisement -

New Infraction System - questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by frizzyrazzy, May 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

Jeff could you explain the new infraction system - since it's likely that I'll be spending a lot of time on it it would help me to know the various point systems and for what we're receiving infractions or is it simply that every time a post is reported we receive an infraction? Thanks.

2. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

:confused: Is this related to that warning that showed up at the top of the screen? Is there an actual point system? Maybe I'll just stay quiet for a while and see how this all plays out. I wouldn't want to accidently do something wrong before I know it's a problem.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I wonder if the "infraction" system applies to PMs or just public posts which can be viewed by ... the powers that be?:rolleyes:

4. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

They are called demerits.:eek: And 7 demerits for you for calling them infractions

5. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

The CWD Forums software supports an infraction system, through which an admin or moderator can let a user know -- in private -- that a post or other behavior is not in line with the terms of service.

For some time, I've heard an enormous number of complaints from people that the forums have become less than welcoming, filling with lots of judgemental posts, and straying from the open support forum that I always intended it to be. The infraction system seemed to me to be a reasonable and private way to deal with this problem.

I've stressed so many times that a forum as widely read as this will always have people who see the world differently, and that we as forum users have an obligation to be welcoming, supportive, and to give everyone the benefit of the doubt at all times. Diabetes is the enemy. We are not.

I'm hopeful that those who are complaining about this elsewhere will bring their concerns to me personally. PM or email is fine. I'm open to suggestions on how to manage the forums better.

6. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

I may not be liked very well for asking this, but Jeff - was the infraction system put into place before or after the "caulk"/ "cock" craziness that I'm sure will or has turn(ed) off some new or potential forum members?

ETA: I like a good occasional dirty joke just as much as the next person but WOW!

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  7. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

Not Jeff, but it was put in place befoe tha thread, maybe 2 weeks ago?

and I must say THAT thread cracked me up!! I have not laughed so hard at an innocent mistake in a long time.

And since I am posting, I agree that something needs to change in order to make CWD the supportive wonderful place it was intended and use to be. I am not sure I see how an infraction system that could lead to a poster being banned will work if people are allowed to have an unlimited # of user names and can just post under a different name.

8. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

I made first use of this a couple days ago, in response to a very specific issue - posts that I felt were not in the spirit of CWD.

As for people creating more than one account, there is simply no way to prevent that, and frankly, I don't understand why anyone would care. If someone wants to start fresh, so be it. If someone creates a new account and engages in behavior that is contrary to CWD, I'll take action against the behavior.

Remember, the CWD forums are here to provide support for families living with type 1 diabetes. That is the mission of the forums. Let's all remember that.

9. Lee

Lee Approved members

Jeff, I thank you for taking the time to reply, especially since I know some of my posts can be challenging at times. Usually, when I become snipy, it is in retaliation to specific posters being deliberately provoking. I usually try and deal with these behaviors on my own and honestly, but this has recently led to trouble in Facebook land...

I would feel like a whiner and a tattler if I reported it every time. So, I guess my question is, when I feel like I am being deliberately provoked, should I report it? That just seems really juvenile to me, but if it the expectation, then I will...or I will try and ignore it - which I do for a while...but then sometimes I slip up :eek:.

10. Lee

Lee Approved members

I am so sorry that this rubbed the wrong way - I really thought it brought back a humorous sense of community :eek:

11. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

I agree with this. I personally know a poster in CWD who felt that they had to change their user name and abandon their first account. This person didnt do this to lie to anyone or fool anyone. This person did it because they were concerned for their children and their own safety. They had deeply personal issues going on in their home life. And really, thats not anyones business. This person has a CWD, thats all I care about.

12. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

The problem with a "fresh start" is that that isn't always how a new user name will be used. From experience of ebing a mod, and posting inforums for te last 12 yrs, that is an openinvitation to trolls, which will just cause the forum to go deeper into what you don't want it to be.

A poster who has an issue with certain people will create an alter ego and intentionally rub the people the wrong way to get them riled up. So, you ban the new user but that person is still here under their original name. Personally, if someone wants a "fresh start" then they need to face what ever it is that is causing the need for a fresh start, not run away from it by hiding under a new name.

Honestly, I appreciate your effort to restore cwd forums to what their intention is and I hope that somethng works.

13. caspi

caspi Approved members

I completely agree with this.

14. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I am a member of another message board and the few times they have had to ban members, or ban trolls, they have been able to ban it by the IP address, which would prevent another name being created from the same IP address. They use the same software as this board, so maybe its possible on this board.

15. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

But Jeff welcomes people to change and have a fresh start, and I agree
    This board is a lifesaver, and if someone feels that they have to leave due to any number of reasons, they should be able to come back and ask questions, get support, etc.

16. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

BrokenPancreas - I'm not talking about people who just choose to start fresh.

I'm talking about people that he bans - he should be able to ban their IP so they can't come back unless he know and agree they can come back. I just think people that are banned shouldn't be able to "sneak" back under a new name - they should have to have Jeff's permission to return if he booted them in the first place

17. caspi

caspi Approved members

Exactly Nancy!

18. caspi

caspi Approved members

This is what I'm not understanding. Why would anyone feel the need to have to change their name or have a fresh start on an internet board?? I mean, really? :confused::confused::confused:

19. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

Look at the news of cyberbulling and the tragic things that can happen when a group of people gang up on someone.

It becomes a game to some people, and the person being attacked, harrassed, or whatever, has no choice, but to leave.

So if someone who really needs the advice, support and help from this board feels that they will continue to be attacked or mocked, then they should be able to have a fresh start and use this board for what it's meant.. support, help, etc.

20. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

If people don't join CWD because of the "caulk" thread, they should probably steer clear of the internet altogether. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.