- advertisement -

New in the US

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by michalf, Jan 24, 2009.

1. michalf

michalf New Member

Hi,
    I recently relocate from Israel to NY from my work for a couple of years
    and find major difficulties with balancing my diabities here.
    In Israel there are so many kinds of suger free food and here I rarely find those, i'm sure it's exsist and i just don't have enough information about it.
    will be gratful for any kind of guidnace from any Diabetic that i will be able to contact with in order to get some help regarding this difficulty i am dealing with here.
    Many Thanks,
    Michal

2. DebEMT

DebEMT Approved members

Hi Michal,

Welcome to the US!

I don't know too many people here who actually use the sugar free stuff. Most of us just use the real stuff - in moderation. Because if it's sugar free - there's something else in there to make up for the flavor -- usually LOTS of fat. So, which is worse - real sugar? Or extra fat?

Good luck!

Deb in Southern Illinois

3. PixieStix

PixieStix Approved members

Welcome Michal!

Do you already have an endo? If so, ask if the practice has a dietitian you can meet with--they could help you find comparable foods available in NY that you are missing from Israel. Or if you post here and describe what foods you are looking for, we might be able to tell you items to try that might match what you want.

I am sure it is hard looking at the aisles of foods and not seeing familiar labels--I lived in Germany for 3 years and found the local grocery stores interesting, often would see familiar foods w/ European packaging. Did not have a son w/ D but did struggle sometimes missing US foods (and TV shows).

4. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

There's an organization based in New York for Jews with Diabetes, if you google it or look on the OU website, you'll find them. They should be able to help you.
    I personally don't eat sugar free, so I can't help you there.

5. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Welcome Michal

Look for the words "unsweetened", so much available in the USA compared to Canada, unsweetened in Canada means aspartame, splenda, or some other "tol" sweetner.

6. lilituc

lilituc Approved members

Not just one - there's Jewish Diabetes Association and Friends With Diabetes.

7. michalf

michalf New Member

Thank you so much!!!