- advertisement -

New here... 3 year old and pump?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by LauraC, Aug 12, 2014.

1. LauraC

LauraC Approved members

Hi- this is my first post. My daughter was diagnosed in September 2013. She is 3 now. She is on humalog and lantus with MDI and uses the Dexcom G4. She is going thru a tough time with shots right now(cries or runs away). I feel like we go thru this every month or so and it's really hard for me to deal with. I wish I could take the pain away. I don't know if a pump would be better or not (pain-wise). If you have a toddler, does he/she handle the pump insertion well? We use EMLA cream for her dexcom insertion. Does anyone use that with their pump site changes? Thanks for any help!

DD - 3 years old now- diagnosed 9/23/13
    MDI humalog and lantus
    Dexcom G4 -June 2014

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Hi! My son was diagnosed at 3, and had a very, very difficult time with shots. Moving to the pump was the best decision we made for him. We've used EMLA for all "regularly-scheduled" site changes since that time, and he has no problem with them. (Obviously, sometimes when you pump, you just need to get a new site on right away, and when that happens, he deals with it, but still prefers EMLA at age 10.) If your daughter is already used to EMLA with Dex insertions, and knows that the EMLA takes away the pain, I suspect she'd be just fine with pump insertions. :)

ETA: If you want to create a signature that will automatically appear on every post, go to "Settings" at the top of the page, and there is an option to create/edit signature. :)

3. LauraC

LauraC Approved members

Thanks! I was wondering how to make a signature. ;)
    When did your son start with the pump? Our doctor has left it up to us and I feel like it is a huge decision to make.

4. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

My son was 3 1/2 when he started the pump. He was okay as long as i used Emla. He also had a rough time with shots. The pump was the best thing we ever did.

5. tom_ethansdad

tom_ethansdad Approved members

Our son was diagnosed at 3 as well and he started pumping four months after Dx, still 3. He really didn't like shots. First time I have him insulin via pump still is a strong memory. He was so thrilled not to have to get a shot anymore. He just looked at me and ask "Is that it?" when I told him he now had his insulin and could eat. We too use EMLA for all scheduled site changes. I even put it on for when we have an unscheduled change, even if it is only on for a minute or two while I get the new site ready. I know it doesn't work in that short amount of time, and he does too, but he still prefers it.

6. Sari

Sari Approved members

My son was 22 months. We left the hospital on a pump. He is now 10 and we still use the same brand pump.
    We started using emla cream as well but it was mostly for the anxiety of insertion. Now we put a small ice pack on for a minute or so and he is just fine with it.

7. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

DS started on the pump just after his 3rd birthday. He hated site changes for the first month or so, but we gradually got him to realize that he was upset by the thought of the site change and not the site change itself. Perhaps he has an unusually high pain threshold, but we have never used EMLA for site changes, Medtronic CGM sensor changes, or Dexcom sensor changes, and with the exception of a few bad site changes, he has never really minded. If she is struggling with shots, it is definitely easier to handle one poke every 3 days than multiple pokes each day.

8. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

pumpimg with my oldest 6 months post DX at 18months old. Pumping with my youngest at 6 years old (39 lbs) from the get go, never a shot given so far.

Dexcom is so much more involved than a pump site, If you can get a Dexcom on I would go for a pump or have you seen the I-port? It is basically the same idea as a pump site.

9. Zivile

Zivile Approved members

We started pump and CGM two weeks after dx, it was only a week after his 3 birthday. It changed our life and I can not imagine what our life looked if we were on shots because with shots it was going not better but worse as he had to hold him down. As far as our pediatrician didn't recomend to use EMLA we haven't used it, someday he cries a little on insertions, someday he is fine... But I gues I have to think about EMLA once more because maybe then it would be different and I will not have to struggle... I remember we told Benedict he will have a computer and so won't have to do shots anymore and he told he will remove it. But when we started on a pump... he was so happy for no shots and proudly showed it to everyone :smile: And since then he can eat whenever he wants and that is so great.
    So small children are so quick to get used to something new - he sleeps with his pump in the Lenny lion (it's medtronic toy with a zipper for a pump) and never forgets to grab it with him, quickly turns it around his waist if the tubing got around. And guess - from time to time he and his sister treat some their toys "with diabetis", set pumps for it, boluses and even get bubbles from the tubing, childre are amazing. I guess adults cant not get used so quickly to somethnig new as they can. Good luck!

10. LauraC

LauraC Approved members

I have seen the I-port. Someone else actually recommended that to me. She has her clinic appointment soon so I will have a lot to discuss with her endo team. Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences.

11. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

DD was dx-ed just after her 2d birthday, and we started pumping about 5 months later.

She didn't like shots either, and she occasionally fought them. It only took her a couple of site changes to get used to the pump insertion. We went with the Omnipod in part because of the invisible remote insertion, which seemed to lower her anxiety a little when we demo-ed it (of course, it's hard to tell what's REALLY going on in a toddler's mind).

We've never used EMLA, although dd occasionally asks for "medicine," and we'll give her a very tiny (placebo-level) drop of pediatric advil just to honor that insertions can be kind of a bummer. As others said, if EMLA is working well for you with the Dexcom, I'd think it'd have the same soothing effect for pump site changes.

12. LauraC

LauraC Approved members

I have been looking at the omnipod and feel that would work best for her. I just requested the free demo. Does your daughter allow you to rotate sites pretty well? My daughter doesn't want anything near her stomach and I don't know how much we can rotate with the omnipod and dexcom. I'm sure it can be done.

13. Portabella

Portabella Approved members

My son is 2, he doesn't mind changing infusion sets at all. We have Animas Ping

14. Portabella

Portabella Approved members

Sorry, I'm new :) Snowflake, what is TR and WW?

15. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

My experience is similar to many parents here.

My son was diagnosed at age 2 1/2. We started pumping at age 3. A site change every other day was much better for us than 6 injections per day. I would give him a DS or video game to play to distract him during site changes. And like the Dexcom, the more changes you do, the faster you get at doing it so it is over quickly.

We use the numbing cream for Dexcom sites, but have never had the need to use it for site changes. Distraction is good.

My son is 7 now, so we have been pumping for 4 years!

16. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

I always feel like the oddball but my daughter who is 5 1/2 would rather be on shots. She's had D for about 4 years. She's been pumping with no problems for a decent amount of time but she still doesn't like the fact that there's something attached to her 24/7. The pump has made life easier though. She doesn't complain much because... I guess I just don't let her.

We have never used emla and my daughter didn't even feel the first dexcom insertion. She asked me if I did it because it didn't hurt. I thought I did it wrong lol. If it makes you feel any better, I'm not sure if your daughter has actual "pain" or is just scared because I've poked myself with everything I have poked my daughter with and I didn't think anything was painful. Maybe it's the pain tolerance of each person though

If you do decide to pump, I'd use a steel needle set. My daughter started pumping around 3 the first time around