advertisement

New Guide for College Students with diabetes

Discussion in 'Diabetes and College' started by Amy C., May 28, 2011.

1. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  2. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

Thanks for posting that, I go off to college in less than 3 months and I have a meeting with the disability services on thursday. So seeing the accommodations sectioned helped.

3. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Thanks, that was good information. My daughter will be attending a "Beyond High School" class in June offered by the endo's practice where they address becoming more independent with their care, support systems, drinking, sex, and all sorts of topics without the parents present. College kids with T1 will be available to discuss they challenges they experienced and how they dealt with them. I'm excited for her to attend and hope that it gives her some good ideas. She's only been dx'd for one year and hasn't really meet any peers with T1. I'm just relieved that she's had this year of adjustment before shipping off to college on the other side of the country!

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Thanks for posting. I'm off to university in October, and although I'm not in the US so some things weren't relevent, there was still a lot of really helpful information. :)

5. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Thanks for posting. I made it a sticky. Great info.

6. ChaosRules

ChaosRules Approved members

7. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Thank you, ChaosRules, for these links. Although my daughter is only 11.75 years old, I have an older daughter who is currently a 24-year-old college graduate, so I know from personal experience how time flies and that before I know it my "baby" daughter will be leaving for university!

obtainedmist, I'm going to look into whether our Diabetes Center offers a comparable "Beyond High School" course, and if they don't, will suggest to them that they consider doing so. May I ask who your endo is in order to ask my endo to review your endo's course in the event that we have no such course at our Center? You can PM me with this info; if you are not comfortable giving out this personal info, I understand, and no hard feelings. ;)

8. PipCE

PipCE New Member

Our son is leaving California to attend college in Squamish, British Columbia. We would appreciate any advice about how to navigate diabetes in Canada...we have no idea how healthcare works there.