- advertisement -

New Group: Help Cure Childhood Diabetes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by buggle, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Rella, I don't think I've ever said how terrific I think Brendan is in the video. He does such a natural, relaxed telling of the text and I always cry, ALWAYS, at the end when he smiles for the first time. He has such a spectacularly warm and beautiful smile.:cwds: I hope he's proud of his effort ;)

2. JenPatterson

JenPatterson Approved members

Thank you. You did an incredible job. That video is really the best thing I have ever seen about T1. It explains it so well. I want everyone I know to see it.

One question that I might just be missing the answer to is what "results" will be released in 2010? Human trial results? I thought that is what they are raising money for now so I'm confused.

Thank you again.

3. MyAngelEmma

MyAngelEmma Approved members

Rella, I can't thank you enough for all the time and effort you have put in to this project. It has turned out beautifully. You know I have had high hopes for this from the beginning and you have really gone above and beyond my expectations! I know this is going to be HUGE! I get so emotional everytime I think of the impact this is going to have on our kids futures. So very proud to be a small part of this!

BTW, can't wait to start sharing this with EVERYONE I know!

4. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

Ok, I am now a fan on facebook, under my false name of course!

It has all turned out so beautifully. Both Carl and I feel quite privileged to be part of something so fantastic.

CONGRATULATIONS on a job well done!:cwds:

5. buggle

buggle Approved members

The results of Phase I. FDA clinical trails go through a series of steps. The Phase I trials are mainly safety trials to demonstrate that the drug is safe to use. We probably will get very little info from Phase I.

Phase II trials are when the real work begins. They will try various doses and various numbers of injections. Since they can actually measure the T cells that cause diabetes, they will be monitoring that closely to see exactly what amount of BCG is needed and how many times they have to repeat the injections at which intervals.

I'm going to link over the Faustman's Facebook page which answers a lot of questions and keeps up with the latest papers and the latest popular press. I'll try to keep up with this and put it up on the HCCD (Help Cure Childhood Diabetes) site as well. Here's Faustman's Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Faustman-Lab/97571579005

6. buggle

buggle Approved members

Thought I'd share these with you guys.

My friend's 6-yr-old, named Hannah, is a budding artist. I love her work. So, I commissioned her to do a drawing for us. She sent not one, but two gorgeous drawings; one you can see in my sig below. When I was going to pay her, she said to donate her fee to charity. So she made a donation to Dr. Faustman's research. :)

You can see the artwork closer up here. I love the detail. As you can tell, she loves cats, though she didn't put a cat in the autumn scene. The fox is beyond cute. :)

http://helpcurechildhooddiabetes.org/hannahArtWork/hannahartwork.html

7. MyAngelEmma

MyAngelEmma Approved members

Tell Hannah that not only is she a talented artist she has a very kind, giving heart and we appreciate her donation. How very grown up for a 6 year old. That just makes me want to cry...

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

9. Michelle (IL)

Michelle (IL) Approved members

Rella,

I also want to add my thanks. What a beautiful job by you and your talented family. This project is so inspiring and just fills me with hope that a cure is truly close at hand.

I will be getting my family's info to you asap. I have been having some computer issues so hopefully it will be by the end of the week.I can't wait to tell everyone I know about this project and start raising money!

~Michelle

10. caspi

caspi Approved members

I totally agree that Brendan did a FANTASTIC job!!! :)

11. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

What a nice thing to home home to tonight:D You did beautiful work Rella, Thank you so much for all your hard work and great effort! It's perfect!

12. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Wow!!! What an awesome surprise to log on and see this thread.:):):):)

My heart is going bumpity-bump from excitement and humility. You have done an incredible job, Rella! Thank you again and again and again....:cwds:

13. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

Absolutely love it! You've done an amazing job, Rella... thank you, thank you, thank you!

14. Kirsten

Kirsten Approved members

Beautifully done! Now a fan on FB:)

Kirsten

15. albasmom

albasmom Approved members

You did a wonderful job. I'm also a fan on facebook, and will send the link out to friends and family. Thank you :)

16. Toni

Toni Banned

You did a great job! The children are all beautiful. Don't have Quicktime on this laptop (don't want to download it) so will have to look at the video later on one of the other computers. Will send in a picture would like to put the dog in (people love animals).

17. buggle

buggle Approved members

18. StillMamamia

Great job too, Barb.:)
    Will be adding it to my pitiful :rolleyes:blog too.

19. Toni

Toni Banned

Just saw the video on the desktop. Very effective having a nine year old narrate the video. Brendan did a great job and is very mature for a nine-year old. I did flinch when I heard him describe the complications.... would like to shield him from that knowledge. Endo told us at last appointment she feels Dr. Faustman's trials are safe to participate in. Faustman is Sis's great white hope (she puts most of her faith in her research). Endo did say that the T cells Faustman is targetting will only be effective for those with Type 1 that have those Tcells, about 30 to 40 percent. That is no small percentage, but that other Type 1s (60 to 70 percent) have different attacking Tcells than the ones Faustman is targetting. I will try to raise funds for Faustman because she is still the closest to a cure.

20. StillMamamia

Rella,

I don't know if you'd want to do this, but Facebook also has ads you can use to promote groups. Maybe take a look at their guidelines (at the bottom of the group page, click on help, type ad in the search box and check out the advertising guidelines).

I think somewhere right below the group photo, there should be a blue blur with "Promote group with an ad".