advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New forum for UK teens

Discussion in 'UK Teens' started by Jackie UK, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Jackie UK

Jackie UK New Member

Cool new forum for teens and young people to chat about life :)

Come and have a chat or moan about having diabetes. If something has inspired you or annoyed you, here's your opportunity to tell people.

Do you find that your friends dont understand ?

Do you want to know about insulin pumps?

Here's the place to ask other teens.

JJ

2. n_K

n_K Approved members

Wow, certainly a very lively forum you got here....

3. fk_963_UK

fk_963_UK New Member

I do find my friends dont understand and I want to know more about pumps as my father is interested in getting me one but i dont think omnipods are available here

4. Jackie UK

Jackie UK New Member

Hi Omnipods are not available in the UK at the moment but three other types of pumps are. My daughter has the Medtronic 722. She is 14 years old.

I can really sympathise with you saying that your friends dont really understand. I went to school with someone who had diabetes and I have to say I had no idea how she felt or what she went through and that was a goog few years ago now when all they tried to do was to stop people going hypo and it wasnt felt so important to get the BG levels lower.

I find it frustrating that my friends who dont have kids with diabetes do not understand how it effects the family and what my daughter has to go through.

Its hard work when you do everything you have been told but dont get the results that you want. Having a pump is not a magic answer but does help a lot.

The problem with the Ominpod is that you have to take the PDA device with you at all times and this can be mislaid or lost. Whereas with a "normal pump" everything you need is right there and although you have the tubing is is very small and thin. My daughter wears pretty tight clothes and jeans and the pump slips in a pocket and is about the size of a mobile phone. The omipod is about the size of a large strawberry cut in half longways. Some people might find it sticks out too much. My daughter does competitive gynastics and would find it got in the way. With the other pumps can can detach them for short periods.

I would have a look round at the other options.

Also get your dad to subscribe the the UK Children with Diabetes mailing list where there are loads of parents with kids on pumps. You or he could ask questions.

Or if your or your dad contacts me I can get some pump brochures sent to you.

http://www.childrenwithdiabetesuk.org/