- advertisement -

New enhanced enlite went a good 12 days

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by suej, Aug 4, 2014.

1. suej

suej Approved members

It's not often that I have posted anything but requests for help on this forum so this time I wanted to share a small triumph - my DS's last NEW enhanced enlite sensor gave 12 really good days (and 1 1/2) wonky ones before we pulled it on Day 14. With the original enlite he was lucky to reach 6 decent days. That was a record for us and really made life seem more manageable so I do hope for continued success with the new Enlite. Has anyone else had similar experiences with the NEW enlite?

2. snail_on_wheels

snail_on_wheels Approved members

My son is on his 3rd new Enlite and what a difference! The main problem we had with old Enlites was false lows during nights and overall inaccuracy. Both problems solved now! I haven't tried extending the life over 7 days yet, I can try it if I'll find a tape his skin can tolerate over a week.

3. suej

suej Approved members

Good luck, we use hypafix and so far lucky enough to have no skin reaction.

4. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Does anyone know if the US has the new enhanced Enlites? I so want to go back to integrated pump/CGM, but the Dexcom is blowing the Enlite accuracy out of the water.

5. suej

suej Approved members

As far as I know when I last spoke to the global helpline in June they had not reached the US. They have been available in Europe since about the beginning of the year. The boxes come with a sticker labelled "new" and the website info promises more consistent accuracy over the sensor lifetime which seems to be what we are experiencing, but one swallow does not make a summer. The sensor is also thinner as they have removed the plastic "cover".I have not seen a comparison of accuracy with the "new" sensor vs Dexcom. I am grateful for the enlite but still have dexcom envy (not available here) because the alarms are louder and I could have the receiver at my bedside, and it to date research suggests it is more accurate and a sensor change every 2 weeks would feel like a real bonus to us. So if I could I would get dexcom and continue with medtronic pump.

Also for my DS son I am not sure that an integrated system is necessarily a good thing, always having to wrestle the pump out of a pocket to check a reading and respond to an alarm. A hope on the horizon is that the head of the diabetes section of Medtronic in SA says their next generation CGM will transmit to a smart phone (I suppose much like dexcom going to the cloud). My son would really relate to checking his readings on his phone. But as an adult the issues must be very different. My DS does not wake to the alarms, apparently they will be 20% louder with the next generation.