- advertisement -

New diagnosis

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Amys_dad, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Amys_dad

Amys_dad Approved members

My daughter (9) was just diagnosed. We are over the initial shock and she's adjusting better than I'd hoped.

To help the family manage this as we evaluate treatment options, is anyone aware of iPhone apps that allow tracking bg/dosing on multiple devices? Do any store data on the web?

2. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

Sorry to hear of Amy's diagnosis. To start, let me reassure you that it DOES get "easier."

There are a ton of apps available, but my favorite is called BlueLoop: https://blueloop.mycareconnect.com/

3. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

Welcome to the forum; I'm sorry for your daughter's diagnosis. My 10 year old daughter was diagnosed in March, so I'm pretty new, too.

If you are looking for a "smart" application, which will recommend dosing amounts, I can't help, but if you are looking for a website that will allow you to input your daughter's numbers from anywhere and allow multiple people to view the data on the web, we use a website called BlueLoop (blueloop.mycareconnect.com). It has a phone app that's easy to use and it can be accessed by anyone you choose (we just have mom, dad and the school nurse on the list). It will generate reports and charts to help you see patterns, but it does not recommend any changes. It's more of an input/recording site.

4. Amys_dad

Thank you!

BlueLoop sounds like exactly what we are looking for. Thank for the input!

5. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

I don't post on here anymore. My dd was dx at 9. she is 17 now. honestly I do forget sometimes she has D. It gets better. first year is rough. guess we are going on 8 years now.

6. LucyAmber

LucyAmber Approved members

Hi, sorry you had to join the D-parent group. But it does get easier.

I was 10 at my dx (8 years ago) and from a kids point of view, it is a big adjustment. Getting shots everyday, finger pokes, and being different from the other kids at school.
    While getting D is not a good thing, your daughter being dx'ed during the summer can be a better time than during the school year, as you have time to learn and get everything down, then when school starts back up again you can be confident in the way her treatment is, and in training an aide to help her with D care.

I was dx'ed right before spring break and with only 1 week of D under her belt, my mom was still trying to cope with it. And Since we didn't have a lot of time to adjust and figure out the handling of school (and because they where still adjusting my insulin doses my blood sugars bounced around, and my school didn't have a nurse, and my mom was never told of a 504 plan. (that is something you WANT, it is a necessity, because dealing with the schools can be a huge pain, even more so without a 504.

Heres a few tips:

1. I wish that my mom had known about the Inject Ease. It would have made shots so much less scary. And there is EMLA cream to numb an injection site.

2. Get in contact with the school and get a 504 plan.

3. Feeling different than everyone else is a really bad feeling. Make sure she knows that there is a difference between living with DIABETES, and LIVING with diabetes.
    And that everyone is different, having D just makes her more unique than other kids. (my mom used to tell me that, and it made me feel better.)

4. There is a thread on here "10 things your endo never told you" it has some very good tips on there.

5. There is a blood ketone meter, you don't have to use the pee sticks.

6. Don't not let her do something just because she has D. If it is something that you would let your other child do, let her.

These are just some things from my point of view. I hope they help. Don't be afraid to post something on here. We are always here to help. :)

7. Amys_dad

Thanks, Lucy.

I wish I weren't here too. But, I am. My daughter (Avery - Amy is my knickname for her) is adjusting better than I could have dreamed, but she still has a lot of low times emotionally - it's a lot for a 9 year old to take in.

Any advice on how to help her? A lot of "why me", "I've always been good (and she has), why did this happen to me?" she knows she didn't do anything wrong, but she is struggling with this at times. I know, it's only been a week. But any advice on how to help her through this emotionally? You've been there...