- advertisement -

New diagnosis, whole new way of life over night!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Lizzie M, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Lizzie M

Lizzie M New Member

Hi everyone! My name is Liz and my 8 year old daughter was recently diagnosed with T1D. Here is our story.

At the end of May, Sarah started to show signs of tiredness and extreme hunger. We thought she was going through a growth spurt and T1D hadn't crossed our minds - yet. Within a week it got worse and we realized that something was not right, but it still wasn't clicking. I took the kids to soccer practice and as I sat there watching my son play, I asked Sarah if there were any other symptoms she could think of that she had been having that week. I then googled "growth spurt symptoms in 8 year old" and found nothing (just stuff for babies and pubescent teenagers). I then googled "extreme hunger in children" and our lives changed forever! I looked down the list of symptoms (extreme thirst and hunger, fatigue, frequent urination and accidents, dry skin, weight loss, sweet breath) and thought "oh no,". She had every symptom. The first thing I did when we got home was weigh her and she had lost 3 pounds (how could I not notice that??). When I told my husband that night that she had T1D he said, " now that explains the sweet breath when I put her to bed last night" (it hadn't clicked with him until just then). We took her to the doc and just from the urine, she nodded at me that I was right. Their meter couldn't even read her blood glucose (too high). She was going to let us go home to get our stuff before we drove an hour and a half to UVA, but the peds endo got me on the phone and told me to go straight the ER and they would arrange a medical transport (Podunk hospital's meter couldn't read her blood glucose either and they still fed her - ugh). So, we were transported, spent the night in the PICU balancing her potassium and magnesium and getting her glucose under control and then another couple of days in the regular children's wing learning about diabetes.

I am so thankful for groups like this one! I have been blessed (and saddened) to find that we had several friends from years past that popped up on FB and around town that had kids with T1D. We are also attending a family diabetes camp in a couple of weeks and have found a local support group (between our peds endo and these two groups, it covers all of the major peds endo groups around DC - I feel like we will get good opinions all around).

We've already had our first family beach vacation post-diagnosis and are thankful for resources like this one to help with all of the other "firsts" we will encounter!

Sorry to be so long-winded ;)!

Liz

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Hi and welcome to the tribe. :cwds:

I also became suddenly aware of the prevalence of Type 1 after my daughter was dxd. I just hadn't seen it before.:(

3. Lizzie M

Lizzie M New Member

Thanks for the welcome, Sarah!

4. Lenoremm

Lenoremm Approved members

Welcome. It is a club none of us really want to be in but we are in good company here.