- advertisement -

New College Student

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by WiscoJim, Oct 15, 2010.

1. WiscoJim

WiscoJim Approved members

Hello,

I introduced myself in the teen section because I just recently turned 20. I figured I'd make my presence more noticeable by posting here. I am a junior in college. I am majoring in Kinesiology and will be going to med school for endocrinology. A diabetic endo - imagine that! I was diagnosed on valentines day 2002 but I have never let diabetes control me. I have run 3 marathons, play college hockey, and I race sport bikes for fun. In high school I was part of the USA skeet shooting team and traveled around doing competitions.

Thats about it for now, if anybody has questions about what to expect with a diabetic in college, feel free to shoot me a message!

Thanks,
    Jim

2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hey Jim! Glad to have you here:) Will you be a pediatric endo? I think thats great that youll be caring for people with type 1 as you know exactly what happens and when and dont learn it all from a book.

3. WiscoJim

Yeah I plan on going into pediatrics. I know how much my endo helped me, so Id like to return the favor to others.

4. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Hello WiscoJim. Good to hear you are happy to answer questions about College - we are a few years off but time really flies! Make sure you hang around here that long!:D You will be invaluable. ;)

5. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

Welcome and nice to meet you. I'm in my third year of medical school now. I'm actually one of two kids in my class with type 1 diabetes - but neither of us are planning on doing endocrine. Good luck in the application process!

6. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

I've seen you around before but don't think i've said "hi" before. I'm a sophomore in college and also from Wisconsin. I'm majoring in nursing; there are 3 type 1s in my class. I'm definitely going into pediatrics and considering becoming a cde. I know one the other type 1s in my class is also considering becoming a cde. I had a special connection with my nurses who had type 1. I would love to share that connection with my patients, be there to help a child through the struggles of living with type 1, and show them that they can do anything!

7. WiscoJim

Thanks! I have a 3.8gpa thru my junior year of college and Im trying to strengthen my resume by volunteering a lot and studying my butt off!

8. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

Welcome Jim. My son will be starting college in January, but he will still be living at home so I am not to worried yet. Best of luck in the studies.