- advertisement -

New! And a note on helping spread the word to legislators.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Dx011106, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Dx011106

Dx011106 Approved members

Hi Everyone!
    As you may gather from my username, I was diagnosed January 11, 2006 I had just turned 18 the month before, and without any family history, my family was quite shocked (my mom is a nurse, her father a neurologist and many of her siblings are also involved in the medical field). I'm almost 21 now and still discovering new things about my diabetes every day. Though I have not had diabetes for very long, I have found great support and information through Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.

I am currently a Junior in college and I have received the opportunity to study in Washington, DC for the semester. With my program came two days each week set aside to intern for an organization of my choosing. I am now starting my third week and have been presented with a task: recruit families to apply for Children's Congress!

Unfortunately I was diagnosed too late for this amazing opportunity, but would love to pass the information along to anyone currently unaware:
    For those of you that don't know, Children’s Congress organizes over a hundred children from across the country, ages 4-17 and living with type 1, in Washington, DC to meet with members of congress. The goal is to convey to the lawmakers what life is really like for children living with type 1 diabetes.
    In years past, these children have met with members, testified in front of congress, and more. It can be a great experience for the kids and can have a highly beneficial impact on congress’ overall knowledge about diabetes and the funding necessary for a cure! There is still time to apply so I definitely recommend that anyone interested look into it at http://cc.jdrf.org

Additionally, if you have any questions regarding Children's Congress or JDRF, please feel free to email me directly!

More on me - I started off on Lantus/Humalog, but switched to a MiniMed Paradigm 522 (using Humalog) December 12, 2007. BEST decision of my life!

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Hi and Welcome!

I am a member of the Board of the Capital Chapter, and their Grassroots Recruitment Leader. I know many of the folks in the national GR office that you are probably interning with!! :)

I'm also going to be helping by organizing volunteers on the hill and health volunteers!

Can't wait until 2011 when Emma will be old enough - she's only 3 now!

3. Dx011106

Thanks for the welcome! It's an exciting time to be in DC, and especially here at JDRF with a new campaign for CGM coverage getting underway.

I look forward to possibly running into you in the next few months, but if not, good luck to you, Emma, and the rest of your family!

4. Dx011106

Just a reminder for anyone interested!

Applications for Children's Congress are due October 6th! So if you're at all interested please visit cc.jdrf.org and look into it!!!

5. Dx011106

One last reminder

Applications for Children's Congress are due in the office (not postmarked) THIS MONDAY, OCTOBER 6TH!!!

Please feel free to ask me any questions here or shoot me an email!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008