advertisement

Never heard of Monogenetic Diabetes!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Monogenic Diabetes' started by Merry, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Merry

Merry New Member

We have 2 children with type 1 but they were not diagnosed as babies. One was age 20 and the other age 9 at time of diagnosis. Should we consider testing or is it futile as they didn't have the early onset? One of the kids has autism. Anyone have any advice of us?
    Merry

2. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

From what I understand, they only recommend testing for monogenic if the child was diagnosed in the first year of life.

3. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Were either of them tested for antibodies at the time of diagnosis?
    Were they tested for c-peptide? Did they have unusual onsets?

The type of monogenic diabetes that is treatable by pills would almost certainly have been diagnosed in the first year of life. It would be antibody negative.
    MODY treatable by pills could be diagnosed later; to be treatable by pills it would also need to be antibody negative.

4. ChristineJ

ChristineJ Approved members

There are different types of monogenic diabetes. It is Neonatal Diabetes, one of the forms of monogenic diabetes, that they generally recommend testing for if diagnosed under one year old.:cwds:

Several of the MODYs are treatable by pills, including MODY3 (the most common) which usually isn't diagnosed until during or after puberty. Since monogenic diabetes is genetic and not autoimmune, the "negative antibodies" rule is generally true. It is possible, though, to have both a monogenic diabetes and test positive for antibodies due to an autoimmune process occurring as well.

Generally people with monogenic diabetes/MODY need smaller amounts of insulin than "typical", even years after diagnosis. Some good links for more information are www.monogenicdiabetes.org , www.isletsofhope.com and www.athenadiagnostics.com . Since this is a relatively new (think 1990's) area of research, some of the info is not up to speed with the latest developments, but still gives a good understanding. There is also a thread here on CWD by Frizzyrazzy that has another link with some good information. HTH!:)

Christine

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  5. ReneeWittman

ReneeWittman Approved members

My son has mild autism and has just been diagnosed with diabetes, but I am waiting to hear from doctor whether or not he thinks it is just type 2 or if it is MODY. I am curious to hear if anyone has determined a link between autism and diabetes.