- advertisement -

nerve damage???

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by shirley83006, Apr 3, 2011.

1. shirley83006

shirley83006 Approved members

my daughter yesterday was complaining of pain in both of her lower legs and she described it as knives stabbing her. does this sound like it could be neuropathy. nerve damage. ? any experiences with your child so young?

2. caspi

caspi Approved members

She's 12, correct? It could be growing pains. I highly, highly doubt it's neuropathy at this age. :cwds:

3. wilf

wilf Approved members

It depends on her blood sugars and A1Cs.

4. MegaPug

MegaPug Approved members

I can't speak to the likelihood of Neuropathy occurring in a child so young, but I can describe my own nerve pain from having MS. Sometimes it feels like extreme hot or cold, along with a feeling that your skin has been rubbed raw with sandpaper. There are also pins and needles which feel almost electrical, like tiny crackling zaps. Knowing at least two people with Diabetic Neuropathy, I can tell you that we share the same symptoms, except mine is caused by a different course of action originating in the spinal cord.

I'm new to T1D in my child, so take what I say with that in mind. The "knife feeling" isn't how I would describe nerve pain, but it certainly would be good to verify it with her doctor.

5. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Based on her age, I would say it's growing pains. My son had those right after a big growth spurt when the ligaments don't have time to stretch slowly to the distance caused by the growth. Not fun!

6. shirley83006

shirley83006 Approved members

thanks everyone, i feel better now. After your comments and research, i looks like growing pains. But will check with doctor when she see him. Thank you