advertisement

Nerve damage so young?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Artgirl, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Artgirl

Artgirl Approved members

My daughter has been referred to a Neurologist by her Endo to check a hand tremor that has developed and doesn't go away. She thinks its nerve damage related to diabetes...can this happen already at 19?? She also said its most likely not reversible...so sad if this is the case..but the Neurologist will confirm.

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

What have her A1Cs been? If they've been in range, I wouldn't let diabetes be blamed without a thorough, thorough investigation. Just because our kids have diabetes doesn't mean everything is related to diabetes.

rgcainmd likes this.
  3. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Is the tremor unilateral or bilateral? Is it a resting or intention tremor? Diabetic peripheral neuropathy, especially in its early stages, is not the most common cause of hand tremors as far as I know. Does your daughter have any other signs/symptoms of peripheral neuropathy?

4. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Hi and sorry you and her are going through this.

I agree with MomofSweetOne that, depending on her A1c and if she is not having huge bg swings or staying super high for long periods of time, this is most likely not related. Additionally, she has only had Type 1 for 3 years so I would be surprised if this was related so soon.

As for rgcainmd, she is in MD mode with dem big words, so I would answer her questions. She may be able to put your mind at ease from a medical standpoint, before you see the Neurologist.

rgcainmd likes this.
  5. Ali

Ali Approved members

As a long time Type one I can say that it is a common mistake for physicians to assume any issues you have if you are a Type One are related to the fact that you are a Type One:). Sometimes they are but often they are not. If your kiddo has only had T1 for 3 years I too would be very surprised that she was already having nerve issues. Go see the Neurologist but do not go into the appointment assuming it is T1 related, try and force the Dr to approach the issue like he/she would with anyone walking into the office with a hand tremor.

rgcainmd likes this.
  6. Artgirl

Artgirl Approved members

Hello
    So her Ac1 has been terrible. Its been at 10 most 11 for 1.5 years( long story) but that's what happened when she turned 18 and i was not involved in her care no longer. Her A 1c just got down to 8 in the last 2 months. Her tremor is only on the right hand. Not sure what's going on but its scary. Also its seems like it shaky when its resting but not sure. It doesnt happen when she writes.

7. Christopher

That is a high A1c but I still am not convinced that the tremor she is having in only one hand would be caused by her diabetes. But I guess the only way to know for sure what the cause is is to see what the neurologist says. Glad to see that she has gotten the A1c down lately.

I can empathize with you, as I am sure many of us can, on the transition of care. When your child is dx at a young age and you have been intensely managing their care, it can be tough when they grow older and transition to their own management of their Type 1. We obviously have our own standards of care that we want for them. But it is only natural for them to have a different standard. And then there are little things like going off to college, experimenting with substances, learning how to manage basic young adult responsibilities BESIDES Type 1, etc.

Parents of children without Type 1 have the same challenge letting their children make decisions and learn from their mistakes. We have the added "fun" of the really serious consequences of this natural stage of development.

Anyway, no real words of wisdom here, just wanted to say hang in there and I will be hoping for a positive outcome with this situation.

rgcainmd likes this.
  8. Artgirl

Artgirl Approved members

I did Google neuropathy and it can indeed occur at any age. Common in diabetics. She did have a lot of numbness and the tremor would be motor related all which are on the symptoms list. I clearly remember her complaining of numbness is her hand way before her diagnosis. My daughter turning 18 was hard on me i would often cringe at her lack of regard for her condition. Even the doctors would say sorry mom she is 18 now.Anyhow a few things happened and she is 20 soon so she is starting to take it seriously. I was shocked how out of control her sugar was. Ill update after our appt.
    P.s her endo thinks her diabetes is the cause

9. Christopher

I am always cautious when I look on the Internet for medical advice. There is a lot of information out there and some of it is accurate and some isn't. Yes, neuropathy can occur at any age, but I would think there are some factors that would increase/decrease your risk of it. Just because it "can" occur at any age, doesn't mean it will.

As for saying that neuropathy is "common in diabetics", I think that is a very broad statement that I personally would not make unless I had specific scientific data to back it up. How is "common" defined? Does "diabetics" include both Type 1 and Type 2? How long have these "diabetics" who develop neuropathy have diabetes?

I am not asking you to answer these questions, just saying that it is important to make sure that when we make statements, that they are based on scientific fact.

I really hope that the cause of your daughters issues can be figured out and that she can get them resolved.

rgcainmd likes this.
  10. Artgirl

Artgirl Approved members

A lot of scary stuff showed up when i Googled hand tremor causes. Not going to panic yet but can't say that I'm not worried to death. Will update when answers are found.

11. Christopher

I'm sure it did. I know it's hard not to panic, all we want is for our kids to be safe and healthy. I hope you don't have to wait too long for your neuro consult. Hang in there!!

12. Christopher

One thing I thought I would ask and I am sure you have already explored this, but have you discussed pump therapy or a CGM with your daughter? I was just thinking that maybe that might help her manage things a little easier and have a more "normal" routine.

As you can see, it took Danielle almost 8 years to try it but it really did make things easier to manage. A CGM might help her identify the highs/lows a little quicker and may help bring down her A1c. Pumping is not for everyone, and each person needs to do what feels right to them, but maybe after 3 years she is just burned out on all the shots and hassle and could benefit from trying something new. Just a thought. :)

rgcainmd likes this.