- advertisement -

Negatives of using a pump?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by cockatiel, Jul 1, 2008.

1. cockatiel

cockatiel Approved members

Dd2 just had her "3 months after diagnosis" dr's apptment yesterday.

Results -- H1C of 6.2 -- HURRAH!

And a very perturnbed mother! The doctor originally told us that they really wanted ALL pediatric patients on the pump after 1 year, but I am feeling pressured already. About every other comment from the nurses was "When you r dd goes on the pump..." The nurses are really encouraging us to think about the pump, and they only tell us the positive about the pump......

So I have a strange question --

What are the NEGATIVES of having a pump?

More testing? Having something attached? Swimming? I would love to hear all the down-sides of wearing a pump.

2. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

well this sure if refreshing-the dr.s office encouraging pump.

It can be a little of challenge iwth swimming etc. being hooked up all the time.
    wearing dresses can be hard. your D is visible with pump.

3. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Hmmm...I guess the always being attached part could be a negative. It is a machine, so of course it could break and throw your routine into chaos.

The supplies, for those without insurance or without adequate insurance, cost much more than syringes and insulin. There is a required site change every two or three days.

For us, there just aren't many negatives. We absolutely love our MM pump!

4. Pumprincess

Pumprincess Approved members

Variables. When you give yourself or your DD an injection, there you go. You know she got x amount of insulin. It's there. With a pump, when you get high there is more to consider. Is the site good? Is the insulin bad in the pump? Is the insulin you're using bad? Could it be air bubbles? I love the pump, but sometimes I feel liek sherlock holmes.

5. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I see that your dh also has D. What does he think about pumping?

For us, negatives would be: having something attached, but the kids seem to really adapt and not mind that...so I don't know if that's a real negative or not. Sure, testing more because you can DO something about the numbers, so again, that's not really a negative in my mind - you test more but you have the ability to do something with those numbers. Like Fran said, you have a visible reminder of D all the time and especially with girls, it's a bit harder to hide a pump. You have a machine that can malfunction, though that rarely happens (I don't want it to sound scary) and because you don't have lantus in your system if your pump or site malfunctions you don't get any insulin which can lead to ketones quickly, but because you test so much it rarely results in a bad serious situation.

For us, the benefits FAR outweigh any perceived or real negatives. You're lucky that your dr's office is encouraging it.

6. Deannas mom

Deannas mom Approved members

My DD was on MDI for a year before we went to the pump. Positives are easy..no more shots, freedom with eating, easier to control numbers because of knowing exactly how much insulin is on board and not having to guess. you can bolus for a meal while out in public and no one will know it ie: not having to do an injection where people can see (that was an issue with my DD)

Negitives...there are a few

Site changes
    being connected to something all the time
    choosing clothing that will accommodate the pump
    there is a chance for a pump malfunction (however we have been pumping for almost a year and have not had any problems at all.)

thats all I can think of as negatives.. we love pumping but it is not for everyone

7. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

Here are our negatives:
    -Night time testing increased
    -A little more expensive
    -Having to monitor for ketones more

But considering the benefits, these negatives don't really even register for us.

I will say that I am a little concerned that your endo is pressuring you about the pump. The most important thing to consider before starting the pump is whether or not the child and the parents are ready for it. Pump therapy can be a wonderful tool for managing D, but it can go horribly wrong if those involved are not on-board. I don't think it is an endo's place to push (or deny) a particular treatment. They should make sure their patients are aware of the various options and then let them decide.

8. ROVERT81402

ROVERT81402 Approved members

Trevor's only been pumping for 2.5 months, but I'd have to say the biggest negative so far is the sites not sticking in hot weather (now that we got better adhesive wipes, its better), and not knowing if the site is completely in right away.
    I love that we can eat out and just push a few buttons, rather than having to draw up insulin and inject.

9. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

10. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

Congratulations on the great A1C. I see that she was recently diagnosed, and therefore may be honeymooning which can also account for good A1C. I do not know if that's your case, but if it is, and once she comes out of the honeymoon, it does get much more difficult to manage diabetes, especially if you are new to management. The pump therefore is a convenient tool to help manage diabetes. That being said, there are people that do extremely well on MDI, and they are no longer honeymooning.

As far as the negatives, higher risk of ketone development, as many people have indicated. Some people are naturally at a higher risk of going into DKA (not all), and those people have to be very careful on the pump.

Being attached to a machine 24/7

Testing more often

There are some threads floating around the forum that talk about why people did not choose pumping, and they have some interesting and valid points. Some people actually do better on MDI than pumping. It's not for everyone, but most people that try it, love it.

11. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We waited something like 2 1/2 years after Dx before pumping. For my DH the biggest stumbling block was the being attached 24/7 issue. Over the years we have seen how pumping has made it easier for our daughter to participate in sports and social events so in hindsight going to a pump was the right move. But I very much resent the idea that pumping is a necessary progression from shots. We chose pumping, but it's not the only choice and many parents and kids manage D very, very well on shots. Do not allow yourself to feel pressured. One day, one week, one month at a time and you'll get to what works best for you and your daughter.

12. jendean

jendean Approved members

LOL. where to start....

I will start by saying that we DO love pumping.... But here are some negatives I have come across both with my son and through work and volunteering.

Site loss. This happens, not often to us, but so some, very often. Some people are just not as sticky as others. Luckily my son is like drying molasses. Anything sticks to him.

skin damage. The damage to the sites takes much longer to heal than the damage from a simple injection.

Non delivery. Sometimes there is a problem with delivery. We have pumped for over two years, and had only one problem.

Inserting a site hurts more than an injection.

You have a pump attached to you all the time.

You will probably check more often... You should anyway...

IF the child is confused due to hypoglycemia.... He or she MAY try to give herself a bolus. MOST kids dont do this. and you can "lock" most pumps so that this cannot happen.

Pumps are not foolproof. You A1c may go up. :(
    And it may go down.

Take your time, and dont let anyone force you to do what you are not ready to do.

Dylan'sMom likes this.