- advertisement -

Need your advise please

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by justice1315, Jun 19, 2013.

1. justice1315

justice1315 Approved members

As I mentioned last week, my 9 year old is about to start pumping. It has not yet arrived, and we have not attended the training yet... My question to all of you who are pumpers is:

We are going on a vacation to beach in mid July. We will most likely only have the had the pump for maybe a week, two at most by that time. I don't know if we should stick with her shots for vacation since that is what we know and are used to, or if we should just jump right in and begin pumping for the whole trip.

I guess my concern is that because we are newbies, and will be over a thousand miles away from home/her doctor, should we play it safe and stick with the shots? I have read that many have said the beginning can be difficult with the pump just because you have to figure the adjustments to get them to level they need to be at. I just don't know if this is the time/place that we should be doing that if there are problems? The other part of me thinks that since I will be with her for a week straight, it would be a good time for us to learn how and what will work for her?

Thanks for your help :)

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

For a beach trip, I'd stick with injections.

3. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

If it were my DD, I'd have to say stay on injections for the vacation.

Our pump start was not terribly difficult and my DD had made a paper chain to count down the days until pump start. But even so pump start is a stressful time in the best of circumstances and vacations with D are slightly more stressful. Stick with what you know and make it easier on everyone. There's plenty of time to work out the kinks with pumping when it won't affect your vacation. If you spend a lot of time on vacation working out the correct dosing (with lots of swimming and unusual schedules) odds are those doses won't be right for your schedule at home and you'll be back at square one anyway.

Have a great time on vacation and good luck with pump start whenever you begin.

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I agree. Stick with shots on vacation. I think figuring things out on the pump when disconnected for long periods of time is one of the most difficult things about pumping.

5. justice1315

justice1315 Approved members

Great thank you!!! That is what my gut was telling me, just wanting to make sure I wasn't overreacting.

6. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

Just one more "I agree". That new in, I would not want to mess with something new, and also since it isn't such a part of her (and you), it might end up someplace it shouldn't (like in the water or sand) by mistake. Not to mention all the new rates, etc.

7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I agree. While our start wasn't problematic, it wasn't without it's little challenges. I'd say stick with what you know, enjoy your vacation and come home looking forward to the transition to pump. Plus, when at the beach you'd be off the pump most of the time anyway, so you don't want to have to deal with the newness of it and then have to catch up on the highs from being off the pump.

8. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

I guess I'm a little more of a risk taker. I think I would want to go with the pump, but for sure I would have all the MDI supplies along too just in case. I would contact my pump trainer about my concerns and see what their opinion is.

9. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

I'd stick with the shots. Save the pump transition for when you're home and in your comfort zone.

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

If it were any other type of vacation, I'd probably say go for it. But, with it being being the beach, the pump would be off more than it is on (at least that's how it is in our case), so that brings with it it's own set of challenges.

11. AJMom

AJMom Approved members

DD started her omnipod and 2 weeks later we were at the beach. I found it easier than MDI. I asked our endo tons of questions and asked for suggestions before we left.

12. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I would stick with shots. Our practice actually says we can't leave town the first month after pump start because we are sending it daily numbers, and need to have access to practice if there are pump failures, site failures, etc, that a parent isn't yet equipped to handle.