- advertisement -

need to get back on track

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by joy orz, Feb 22, 2013.

1. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

A few weeks ago Ava caught a tummy bug and had low after low after low. We just kept lowering her insulin and now she is still hitting mild lows but with monster spikes at meal times. So we raise things back up and she is either at 60 or 360 ::mad:
    None of her old basal patterns or ratios seem to be working. Any thoughts on how to get back on track?

2. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Other than being able to tell you that when a T1D has a stomach bug, it can take 3 weeks or more before their insulin needs return to "pre-bug" units... The carb absorption just gets extremely weird and the bug and after affects makes carb absorption difficult.

Hope you can get it figured out soon... Good luck.

3. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

When dd's scheduel totally changed and everything was a mess and every change made it worse, I changed everything to a flat rate and tested constantly. I changed the basal to an average round number like 10 all day and night and carb ratio to 15 for evey meal, and a target of 120 all the time with a correction factor of say 50 all the time (these numbers are made up--pick numbers that all averages for you.) then I tested every hour to see what was ahppening.

With your dex this should be easy to see what's happeing. then you can correct one thing at a time (obviously fix anything dangerous right away). Basically you just start over and in a few days you'll know enough to start making changes. (disclaimer--you may want to send results to the endo to suggest changes too).

4. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

This is essentially what we are doing, a flater basal (but with over night changes) and flat bolus ratio instead of the varying ones we usually use for different meals.

I've started blousing everything at 75% combo bolus over an hour and a half, that way if she starts crashing, I can cancel the bolus or give juice before she hits 50.

Today of all things she had pizza, chocolate cake, and was grazing on Oscar party apps for dinner. PERFECT numbers with a nice flat line on the dex. Go figure. :rolleyes: She is a tad low tonight, and I am really nervous about her going back to school tomorrow.

I can't wait until things get back to some reasonable level of predictability.