- advertisement -

Need some Research on Carbs and Seizures!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lee, Jul 22, 2009.

1. WhyMyBabyGirl

WhyMyBabyGirl Approved members

I'm guessing he didn't check her after her 1oo?

How in the world could he blame this on you?

Was the seizure as bad as the last one?

I really hope they approve the CGMS!!!

We should start a petition for you!:D

2. Lee

Lee Approved members

Thank you! I hope we get it! Then I can stop worrying about what is happening overnight at her dad's and start knowing!

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Oh, Becky. I am having very uncharitable thoughts about your ex- right now. Like wanting to shoot him up with a bunch of insulin and send HIM to bed for the night!

Does Coco have a cell phone? I know this is not ideal, but could you call her to wake her up for a check when she is at his house? It sucks that you should even have to think of such a thing, but this is truly absurd!

I hope you get the CGM, and SOON!

4. Rachel

Rachel Approved members

Arg, so sorry to hear about this, Becky.

Is there a mediator or someone who has some jurisdiction over your co-parenting plan who could help? One seizure based on dosing/not checking I can see happening ... but TWO??!?? How does your daughter feel about sleeping there? Does she feel safe?

If he doesn't listen to you, might he listen to someone with some authority to pull the girls from his overnight care?

5. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

I also think that there needs to be some serious legal consideration about the safety of her being there. 2 seizures in his care because he doesn't check her at night is not good.

I also hope you get the CGMS. He is going to be in for a serious reality check when it starts alarming at him all night every night :eek:

6. Emma'sDad

Emma'sDad Approved members

You're right, he's wrong.

The only thing that I could think of that would give his reasoning some merit is that let's assume the body is used to 500 carbs a day, every day. And then one day, it only gets 100 carbs. I assume the brain would see this as a difficiency of some sort and feel like it's not getting enough brain energy so it would feel sleepy and disoriented. But that would be a big gap. What you're saying isn't that much of a gap. My father gets disoriented when his lows are prolonged, if he catches them right away, like when he starts to sweat profusely, he carbs up and he's good to go.

7. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Your ex is making excuses for his poor judgement. Your daughter had the seizure because she had too much insulin for the food eaten and the activity of the previous day.

The endo could explain this to him, if he is interested in going to an appointment.

8. colebenmom

colebenmom Approved members

Lee,

I am very sorry that you and your daughter have to go through this. It is HARD to co-parent with D let alone when you know something(one) is putting your child at risk. I hope that he can see the error of his ways and start checking at night....or at least you can get the CGM. Hope Coco is feeling better!