- advertisement -

Need some Research on Carbs and Seizures!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lee, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Lee

Lee Approved members

Has anybody seen any research that points to carb variances - such as having 200 carbs one day and 350 carbs the next - as causing seizures in Type 1 diabetics?

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I have not heard of that. I would be interested if there was any truth to the statement.

3. Lee

Lee Approved members

You and me both, Amy - you and me both :rolleyes:

4. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

haven't seen it nor experienced it. Sam varies carbs from day to day---I don't even keep track anymore.

5. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

No, but I have noticed that Connor usually eats approximately the same amount of carbs at breakfast, lunch and dinner so he generally gets about the same amount of insulin at those times of the day. If he eats way more than usual for one of those meals, and I cover his meal with his normal I:C ratio and sliding scale - and he gets a lot more insulin than is typical at that time of the day (ie 8 units of Novolog instead of 4.5) - he will almost always have a low (usually comes on quickly) after that meal. If I notice that the amount of insulin I'm about to give him is considerably higher than his usual dosage for that time of day, I tend to back off a little. That's my experience, but I imagine that might contribute to some severe lows or seizures, especially in young children who cannot communicate their lows?

6. Lee

Lee Approved members

See - that does not correspond with what the ex thinks he is seeing! He says her two low seizures (yep - one last night) are do to her having more carbs at my place!

7. momandwifeoftype1s

I'm going to guess it's a big unusual bedtime snack, probably covered correctly according to I:C ratio and sliding scale that is doing it. If he's giving the unusually large snack and corresponding unusually large amount of insulin at that time of night, bingo - unexpected low or seizure. I'm sure he thinks he's doing everything right (technically, yes), but just not looking at the big picture and trends - which comes with experience and connecting the dots. This is not a scientific answer, but Brian said he's noticed the same thing in regards to his own diabetic care. Hope that helps!

8. Lee

Lee Approved members

No - it was a large correction with no follow up check - yet again! But he seems to think it is becuase she has more carbs at my house sometimes!

9. momandwifeoftype1s

Oh, sorry! I misunderstood your last post. Large correction with no follow-up check would do it too.

10. Lee

Lee Approved members

I was just wondering if there was something to his excuse - I have not found nor heard of anything - but I do not want to go half cocked - so I thought I would check!

11. momandwifeoftype1s

Well, if you're the one who feeds more carbs at your house and covers with more insulin - but checks afterwards...then the lows at his house don't make sense based on you feeding more carbs. If you gave considerably fewer carbs and less insulin, and he gave considerably higher carb snacks with more insulin and no middle of the night checks - than yes. Do I even make sense? I'm sorry, I'm very tired. :eek:

12. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Becky, there is a reason he is your ex (several reasons I'm sure) and I'm guessing he may be adept at covering his butt, which is ALL he is trying to do. The fault with his statement is that if she is getting MORE carbs at your place, she is getting MORE insulin and that might be MORE likely to cause a low (Tom goes low with large doses even if they are correct by ratio).

So where in the name of all that's good is he pulling this from? (I know the answer, that was rhetorical.)

13. momandwifeoftype1s

Yep, that was what I was trying to say...but better said here.

14. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

How can he possibly do this! I'm tired, it's 1 am, but I'm here waiting on a low that I know is coming. AND I have my watch set for 4 am.

I'm so, so, very sorry this is happening.

15. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

Oh my!

I am so sorry! For what is worth if our son has any iob at night for foodor correction we get up to check. We have a cgm, but I still check!!!
    When we do a correction if it shows he is at 75, I test to verify! If he is still high I'll give more insulin. Iob at night is too risky when he is more sensitive to insulin. I'd rather treat a 70 than a lower number . I do correct at night, I correct anything over 140 BUT we also set the alarm to verify that it worked and that he will be safe.

I am so sorry. carb intake at our house varies ALOT and is not the cause of seizures at night, low bg is usually the cause, and with type1 low bg is usually from excess insulin.
    Can you have the dr drop her correction factor at night while at his house?

If she runs higher, that may be safer than having multiple seizures from his unwillingness to disturb his "precious" sleep.

16. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Why doesn't he get his lazy a$$ out of bed and do a night time follow up check? Sorry, but it would seem that would be the answer to a very very serious problem of these night time seizures!

17. WhyMyBabyGirl

WhyMyBabyGirl Approved members

How she feeling?

Did she have the seizure at your house or his house , like last time?

I'm so sorry!

18. Lee

Lee Approved members

Come on - you are talking about the man who didn't do a nighttime check the night we returned form the hospital after her first seizure! We meet with the CGMS guy on the 29th...hopefully, after two of these in 3 weeks - insurance won't balk!

19. WhyMyBabyGirl

WhyMyBabyGirl Approved members

What was her number before she went to sleep>

20. Lee

Lee Approved members

It was at his house again. She had a large correction at 9 - she was 294 - and then he tested her at 11:30ish and she was 100. That leave 1 and 1/2 hours of active insulin in her. Add on top of that, she went to Basketball Camp and played HARD for 3 hours that evening (that 294 was probably and adrenaline high and should have been treated as such anyway).