- advertisement -

need some quick numbers

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by pianoplayer4, Jun 29, 2010.

1. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

Hey dd and her sister are doing some thing really cool, dd's younger sister wants to know how dd feels so for 24 hours she is going to "have d" do every thing but the needles. they made cards that will tell her what her bg is and she has to draw from them. she will be checking her blood sugar but dd does not want her to have a perfict day and thus the cards =) so any way I need the ratios of a twellve year old girl they want to be authentic.
    I am really happy dd is doing this she has been kind of mad about all the attention that dd gets frrom it so this might help =) its a step in the right direction.:D

2. pianoplayer4

it saddens me to think that of the 43 people that viewed this posy none of them were willing to help my daughter. I know there are still people out there and that many of you have children that age or at least near it, your help would be great right now, my youngest has really been strugling with all the changes in our house so recently and this is one of the first times that she has tried ti understand.

3. Rukio

Rukio Banned

Hmm...I know last time I checked (we just know how many to do nowadays) I was at a 15 grams=1 unit. (so one carb=one unit) If I was over my allowed amount (So I do 10 for breakfast, 9 for lunch and 10 for dinner) (So if I had 1 carb choice more for lunch and my bg was 137 I would do 10 units)

4. pianoplayer4

thankyou! my daughters are very exciter for this and I know they'll appreciate it sorry that I got mad, I was just worried that no one would respond:)

5. Rukio

Rukio Banned

Sorry, I never read this till just now. Your daughter is around my age, so I hope my explanation helped some.

6. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

Hmmm... do you want to go with random numbers? In that case, any numbers will do. Or do you want to think of scenarios that would lead her to different patterns through the day? For instance, woke up at a good number, but then spiked way high after breakfast and came into lunch high; expected to go swimming after lunch so underdosed, but then plans changed and she was still high two hours later; gave a correction, then crashed because of a heavy duty game of basketball; had a snack to bring it back up, while having to sit out of the game until back in range, and then did okay through dinner and bedtime, until growth hormones kicked in and cause an unexpected BG rise during the night. That might be a more realistic view of things, and might help your younger dd realize that all the attention isn't a great tradeoff for the frustration and inconvenience of what goes along with it.

What a great idea, though! Good for your dd for trying to understand. D really does affect the whole family, and the more everyone is on board and understanding, the better everyone does. Let us know how it goes!

7. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

Wait a minute... just re-read your request, and the other response you got to it, and realized that you're looking for dosing information, rather than BG ideas. Sorry about that.:rolleyes:

My dd is 9, and has three different carb factors: 1:15 for breakfast, 1:23 for lunch, and 1:21 for dinner. Her correction factor is 1:140 most times of day, with a target of 120, but 1:120 in the mornings with a target of 100. I know she's probably more insulin sensitive than your average 12-year-old in the throes of puberty, but it's a place to start.

HTH.

8. Daxdog

Daxdog Approved members

I'm 14 and my ratios are 1:10 for breakfast and 1:9 for lunch and dinner. Correction factor is 1 u per 50 over 100.

9. wilf

wilf Approved members

If you want "authentic ratios" I can give you my daughter's at age 12:
    - TDD 30 units a day
    - carb ratio 1:15 Breakfast, 1:20 rest of day
    - correction factor 1 unit Novolog/Humalog drops blood sugars 60 points

Sounds like a fun activity. :cwds:

10. pianoplayer4

just wanted to update, dd's are having fun and getting along great. funny thing, dd really checked her blood sugar this morrning but then had to pick a card that gave her a fake one. her real bg was 96 the same as my daughter with d! lol that made them both really happy. non d dd had her "first low" while playong badmitten with her sister so she ahd to sit out for a while I don't thinck she will get jelous of how many things dd get to eat for lows now:D well just happy this is working out dd is getting to see that d is not really very fun but having fun doing it:rolleyes:

11. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

Glad it's going well. What a great idea.

12. MikailasMom

MikailasMom Approved members

I think thats a really neat idea! Our DS always complains b/c DD gets extra snacks ect too. I think this just might be the thing to fix it!

13. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

is she going to have to drink juice half asleep??

Great game your kids came up with!

14. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

sorry, i just saw this post today. It's probably to late now, but Ashleigh's I:C ratio is 1:15. She's 11 years old. correction factor is 1u for every 75 over 200