- advertisement -

Need some help! And fast!

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by Britt's Mom, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Britt's Mom

Britt's Mom Approved members

My daughter recently got put into the hospital, Monday to be exact, for ketones of 3.6 and a bg of 320. We got out last night, with negative ketones and a bg of 119, and it seems that since then, we can't get below 200! Last night, she ran high and we corrected by pump, an hour later and she's still high. We change out the site and correct by syringe. She's finally coming down after that. This morning, she was 140. Finally! Then.. 2 hours after breakfast, she was 201. An hour later for lunch she was 214. A few hours after lunch, she was 237! She was kinda hungry, so she ate a small snack and bolused. She had 1.2 units of IOB but we ignored that since she was not coming down at all, and at supper she was 58. Great! So now, 2 hours after supper, she's 241. We corrected by pump, and now are waiting again to see if it brought her down. What is going on and why is the insulin not working?

We need answers :( This thing is driving us CRAZY lol! She's getting ready to quit it.

Also, how long does it take your body to get back normal readings after having such large ketones for 2 days? Could that be why she's running like this?

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

How old is she?
    How long D?
    When did she start pumping?

3. Britt's Mom

Britt's Mom Approved members

17, 18 in May.
    She was diagnosed at the age of 5, the day before Kindergarten, lol
    February 25 will be a month since she's started pumping.

We haven't had this much trouble out of it until now.
    We've had a few site problems, more than the average person, so we called the Medtronic hotline and they're sending us a few different ones to try.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I would probably guess that her basal rates are not high enough and I'd want to do a basal test to confirm. Though it's impossible to know if she is needing more basal at this moment, either because of the recent highs and ketones, or if she just having an uber hormonal week, or if "big picture" she just needs more basal insulin than she's getting. Sorry, but I can't think of anything more definitive to suggest.

Good luck!:cwds:

5. LARSMS

LARSMS Approved members

My daughter is much younger, 6, but when we have stubborn highs it usually takes a higher temp basal (for us sometimes as high as 160%) sometimes coupled with a larger correction and very very frequent testing.

6. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Have your basal amounts been working well for you up to now? The first 6-7 weeks on the pump were a wild ride for us. Unfortunately, there are so many variables when it comes to using the pump...in addition to just variables with D in general. I'm so sorry your daughter had to be hospitalized! I hope things smooth out soon.

7. skimom

skimom Approved members

depending on what part of her monthly cycle she is in, she can find it harder to battle the highs - my daughter has to raise her basal significantly.
    If you have only been pumping a short while, you should probably contact your endo team for advice - Take a look at the delivery history and look at the basal/bolus balance - it should be fairly even or at least not too skewed in one direction. If your basal is significatnly less that bolus, that can indicate a basal problem. THese things take time to work out and are always rather fluid.GOod luck - it can be frustrating

8. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I'm not the parent of a teen, but I suspect it may be the types of sites or maybe the site area you're using. Just a thought.

9. bisous

bisous Approved members

Sites could be an issue for sure. We just switched from the Sure-T site back to the quickset and I'm really struggling with high numbers. I think it is an absorption thing.

Also, with new pumpers, the basal rates are KEY! I think that is why temp basals can be a really effective tool to bring down stubborn highs. It doesn't seem like that much insulin but it can be very effective. Then if permanently needed, it can help in calibrating the proper basal rates in the pump.

Good luck! Hopefully you guys will find sites that you like and that work for you!