- advertisement -

Need Quick Advice

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KelliTwins, Aug 19, 2008.

1. KelliTwins

KelliTwins Approved members

For the last few days, Greg has been running low. He'll wake up in the 200s (his Lantus doesn't last through the night, but we don't want to make any changes, as he starts the pump on Thursday), have a normal breakfast, get the correct dose of insulin, and then two hours later, he's low. Just this morning, he woke up at 178 (which is great for him!), had breakfast, and got his insulin. We went to the park for an hour, and when I tested him, he was 50. I was surprised, because I was conservative with the insulin. Still, I do know that exercise brings him down, although never that low. I gave him a 17 carb snack, and 20 min. later, he was only 59 (he usually comes up quickly). I gave him a glucose tablet, and that brought him up to 83. By lunch he was 113. Tonight at dinner, he was 134. He had Chick-Fil-A (we were coming back from the endo), had about 60 carbs, and got his insulin. I then baked chocolate chip cookies...not low carb, but full out chocolate chip cookies. I told him he could have three, but he'd have to have an extra shot, which he was fine with. I tested him 30 min. ago, and he was 72! This was 2 hours after the insulin, and an hour after the three cookies. I just retested him, and he's 116. I don't want to send him to bed and have him spike. Should I still cover for the cookies? Let it go and see what happens? I'm confused! :confused:

2. Denise

Denise Approved members

Personally..ya know the YDMV...I'd not cover the cookies..and retest in a bit and see where he is.

3. phil413

phil413 Approved members

So, just to make sure I understand. He has eaten the cookies but you have not covered them with an insulin shot yet? Is that right?

We often have similar issues with a Chick-Fil-A type meal. Because it is relatively high in fat the absorption is slower and so the insulin will hit before the carbs fully do, and that usually happens around the 2 hour mark. Then we usually see a higher number at the 4-6 hour mark because the food finally hits and the insulin is gone.

If you haven't given a shot for the cookies, I would wait and check again in an hour or so, he will probably need it then. If you have given it, then I would just watch him closely for a spike later.

Hope that helps!

4. KelliTwins

That's what I'll probably do. He's driving me crazy with these numbers. We've had to dose at night, too, and even that doesn't usually help with his overnight numbers. But, of course, last night, he was in the 300s, we gave .5, which is a small dose for him, and he goes down to 55. I just don't get it lately. What would cause him to become so sensitive to the insulin now?

5. robinseggs

robinseggs Approved members

I'd definately leave alone for tonight at least....unless of course he's like my kids and he pops back up for another snack! :eek: lol Robin

6. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I think the breakfast and the dinner were probably two unrelated events...maybe.. Breakfast, unless he had something really high fat (which I don't think because he never went higher later) it sounds like he just got too much insulin. Or had too much exercise. Mornings are the toughest time for us - even something stupid like too much Wii can drop Ian like a rock at that time of day. For dinner, I'd suspect it was a fat thing and you'll probably see that later on tonight and if you do, you can deal with it then. But I also wouldn't cover those cookies either. :)

7. KelliTwins

Thanks so much! That's what I'll do.